• Register Today It's free!

drive train help!

springtensi0n

Reaction score
City, State
norwich, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
for a while ive been getting a pretty noticable vibration from the front end. ive searched drive train vibration and checked numerious threads and couldnt find my answer.

anyways. while im on the highway its most noticable. it does it all the time, but when i give it a little gas i hear a clunk like something engaging. this is where the vibration is at its worst. when i give it a little more gas it stops the harsh vibration but continues to vibrate more than it should. i just had my roomate drive my truck while i looked under it and i noticed my front drive shaft turning... is this normal in 2wd?

another note, my 4wd doesnt work any more from what i can tell, do you think this has something to do with it?

Yes, the front drive shaft will turn in 2wd.
From your description it sounds like your problems are related and lie within the t-case.

hrmf, thanks... sounds expensive. time for more searching.

i havnt found any 'helpful' information about my problem in searches for "tcase" or "transfer case." a while ago my 4wd stopped working, it seems like the tcase puts all the power to the rear wheels because as soon as i take my foot off the brake the rear tires spin and i move pretty quickly while still idling at around 1000 rpm. i got under my truck and didnt see anything wrong with u joints. i did notice my front drive shaft spins freely while in 2wd. then i engaged 4wd and turned off my truck, climbed under it and notice some 'play' in the shaft. it turns left and right easily about 1/10th of a turn each way, then stops and i can turn it the other way. while in 4wd shouldnt it behave in the same manner as the rear drive shaft? (i.e. not move at all) i need to get this fixed by sunday (if possible) so any ideas would be fantastic. prices would also be benifitial. thanks guys

Back