• Register Today It's free!

driver door lock

randyjoe

Reaction score
City, State
rochester new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer V8
I have 1999 explorer, driver door lock works with key, but does not work with key-fob. Do I need to get inside the panel. The lock functions, but seems a little stickier than other doors on car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 1999 explorer, driver door lock works with key, but does not work with key-fob. Do I need to get inside the panel. The lock functions, but seems a little stickier than other doors on car.

I had a similar issue with my 1998 Explorer. The driver side door lock worked for the 'unlock' function, but not the 'lock' function.

Problem ended up being a frayed wire, which appears to be a semi common problem as these vehicles get older. :(

That said, to fix, you will definitely need to get inside the door panel.

I had a similar issue with my 1998 Explorer. The driver side door lock worked for the 'unlock' function, but not the 'lock' function.

Problem ended up being a frayed wire, which appears to be a semi common problem as these vehicles get older. :(

That said, to fix, you will definitely need to get inside the door panel.

I have a 1998 Explorer with the same problem but in reverse - the driver side switch will "unlock" but not "lock". I've tried replacing the switch thinking that might solve the problem but to no avail. Where is this "frayed wire" you mentioned?

I've got a 99' and had the same issue until I switched out the lock actuator. Sad thing is 2 months later it went back out -_- I'm thinking the frayed wire commonality may be to blame. Didn't see any while I was in there though.... And I was looking

Flush and lubricate ALL door latches. Often neglected, these door locks need all the help they can get and must move freely.

Latches, actuators, wiring, and door panel switches are common failure points with Explorers. Not necessarily in that order.

Frayed/broken wires are inside the rubber boot between the door and body. 10mm capture bolt in top of black cylinder will separate the connector; cut nylon tie and peel back boot. Much easier of you unbolt and remove door to create room to work. Good luck.

Back