driver door won't open or unlock

jaycush

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Navajo (Exp. Sport)
Hi,

The driver side door on my '93 Navajo is seriously screwed. It is stuck closed in the locked position. Does anybody have any tips to get the door open so I can replace the latch assembly? The inside and outside handles have no tension on them -- when I pull the rod inside the door that is connected to the inside handle, it just moves freely back and forth. I am able to partially remove the door panel and can reach my arm inside the door far enough to manipulate the latch assembly, but have not been able to get it to open. Is there any lever i can push on the assembly to pop it open? I'd love to stop having to climb in through the passenger door =)

Thanks,
Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its possible the power lock cyliniod is siezed....my truck did that but it was in the unlock position.. but i could never lock my truck.....id try looking into that....

I have exactly the same problem. It started about 2 weeks ago as not unlocking, then for a couple days I had to open the door by the inside handle by forcing it several times. Now this weekend its completely jammed. The door cannot be unlocked by switch, the inside handle, or outside key. The switch activates the soleniod and slightly moves the button, the outside key will not turn, and the inside handle only moves about half way. I have removed the panel as much as possible. All the linkages seem OK to the latch assy. The problem seems to be internal to the latch assy. I have no idea how to open the door. I had planned on using the HOW TO by teCH0010. My local Ford dealer said the latch assy is $56+tax. Now if I could just get the door open. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You coudl always try getting a "slim jim" bar. That's how they open it, they get a hodl of the mechanism and force it to unlock. Then, when that's done, you can either cut the power to the solenoid or replace it.

Good Luck

I added additional info to my post.

Update: I put a visegrip on the unlock rod and pulled and yanked as hard as I could, and it still would not unlock. I had hoped that would do it, or I could find a hole. pin, or something on the latch that would unlock it. I even removed the panel from the passenger door looking for clues to no avail.

Oh, I have a 99 Explorer.

Try to remove the interior panel to access the linkage. It could be just that the linkage from the door lock to the latch assemby has has become disconnected. :hammer:

I had a similar issue with my tailgate locked in the closed position. What a pain in the A** that was to fix. I had to remove the tailights and disconnect the bolts holding the tailgate latch catch from each side, just to get the rear hatch open and to access the panel (just to get to the moving parts). Sure enough the linkage had became jammed. (over rotated) I fixed it myself.

Good luck trying to get inside the door panel with the door locked shut! Keep us informed.

Try to remove the interior panel to access the linkage. It could be just that the linkage from the door lock to the latch assemby has has become disconnected.

Did that. I removed the panel as much as possible, but I can only remove the uppper corner nearest the latch. Using a mirror and light, I can see all the linkages to the latch assy, and all are connected. I also felt around to see if there was some interference between the inside handle linkage and the unlock button rod. When I put a visegrip on the unlock button rod, it was from the inside of the door panel.

I have also pulled back the plastic and gasket of the door post. I can clearly see the striker/catch and latch, but I can't find a tool that I can get in there to push the latch plates.

The striker/catch is basically a threaded stud. It has a torx head, and there is a hole through the latch assy- possibly for just this occassion? I need to get a torx bit to fit it. I hope there is sufficient clearance to unscrew the striker with the door closed. If access to the torx head is there just for adjustment purposes, then I may have to give up and take it to a dealer or body shop.

My rear driver side door did the same thing.. At first it just didn't unlock and I would have to unlock it manually, after a couple of months, it just wouldn't unlock period. Luckily it was stuck in the locked position. I took the interior panel off, kind of a pain with the door closed might I add, and replaced the actuator and the latch.

I had to do the same thing with my hatch, but it was damage I never fixed from a previous accident. Had to get that rear panel off with the door shut.

I'd replace the actuator and the latch. I've had both of my rear door actuators go out. I had 1 of mine go out on my 96 too. I think it's just one of those common problems.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was for 1st gen Xs. I think it still applies though.

The problem may be that the linkage to the door handles has jammed or come undone.

Try to find the linkage to the latch and move if by hand or vicegrips. (you would need the latch to be in the unlock possition)

Did you say that the unlock linkage is free or loose?

The problem may be that the linkage to the door handles has jammed or come undone.

Try to find the linkage to the latch and move if by hand or vicegrips. (you would need the latch to be in the unlock possition)

All the linkages are connected to the latch assy and their respective parts, i.e. the inside handle linkage, upper lock button, key lock, and unlock soleniod. The lock/unlock mecahnism within the latch assy itself seems to be the problem. I don't think I'll be able to work on the door until tomorrow.

All the linkages are connected to the latch assy and their respective parts, i.e. the inside handle linkage, upper lock button, key lock, and unlock soleniod. The lock/unlock mecahnism within the latch assy itself seems to be the problem. I don't think I'll be able to work on the door until tomorrow.

I really think you should replace the actuator.. That sounds like the problem, and honestly, even if it's not, I think it will be in the future.

Sorry for not posting back sooner. I ended up taking it to a body shop. They had seen this many times before. A spring (there are two) in the latch mechanism broke and jammed the assembly. There was absolutely no way to get the broken piece of spring out so I could operate the latch. The guy had destroy the side plate of the assembly to remove it. He made a tool out of 3/8 in drill rod, and ground a spiral groove in the end- like a corkscrew - and used it to destroy the side plate of the latch until the broken spring and other parts fell out so the door could be opened. I asked if a dent puller would work and he told me the latch is made of thicker material than the door itself, and a dent puller would damage the door instead of the latch. Just the latch itself (the spring inside more precisely) was broken. The linkages and actuator were fine and still in working order to this day.

My rear driver side door did the same thing.. At first it just didn't unlock and I would have to unlock it manually, after a couple of months, it just wouldn't unlock period. Luckily it was stuck in the locked position. I took the interior panel off, kind of a pain with the door closed might I add, and replaced the actuator and the latch.

I had to do the same thing with my hatch, but it was damage I never fixed from a previous accident. Had to get that rear panel off with the door shut.

I'd replace the actuator and the latch. I've had both of my rear door actuators go out. I had 1 of mine go out on my 96 too. I think it's just one of those common problems.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was for 1st gen Xs. I think it still applies though.
How did you get the panel off with the door closed? I can't even get that far.

I am having this problem with a door I just picked up. There is a way to get it unlocked and open though. If you follow the linkage down from the top door lock, there is a place where it connects with another linkage. If you push that linkage up the door will work normally, until if falls back down again. Slamming the door will cause that linkage to drop to where it makes the locks and handles inoperable again.
I am going to see if I can create some sort of stop to keep that other linkage from falling into this position.

Back