• Register Today It's free!

drivers door wont open

rwz23

Reaction score
City, State
Nottingham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 sport, '99 EB v8
My drivers door is shut and I cant get it open from either the inside or outside. The outside latch is really loose and floats freely so i suspect there is something broken there. The inside handle seems tight but when I pull on it the door wont open. The lock functions how it is supposed to with switches, but it doesnt automatically unlock when I pull on the handle on the inside. I pulled the panel off with the door shut(which was difficult for obvious reasons), but i dont know where to look for anything that would be broken. Any ideas on whats going on??? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem with my driver's door, how did you get the interior panel off w/o opening the door? I have tried more than once, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Same problem with my 1998 Mountaineer. Driver's side passenger door is stuck, even with the panel off and lots of Kroil(super WD-40.

i have taken that panel off probably ten times before so my grommits are worn down a bit which makes it easier. i put the seat all the way forward and just popped the panel off the grommits holding it in place with a screwdriver. then i did the same for the bottom ones putting my hand through the opening on the back side of the panel where i already popped off that section. then you can pull up on the whole panel to get it out of where it seats on the top of the door. once its free you can push the switch panel through the door panel(they are separate pieces). once you have done that, hold the back side of the door paneland pull up on the front and/or rotate it counter clockwise and the front will come out. make sure you remember to disconnect the power mirror switch before you pull it all the way out.

You need a new latch... There is a small spring in there, and when it breaks, despite the power lock actuator trying to unlock, nothing moves. Drive it down a VERY bumpy road while trying to hit the unlock button and the link in there may jiggle itself into the proper position to let it unlock. Don't lock it again until you replace the latch.

Getting to be a pretty common issue here...

-Joe

Rear Driver Door won't open

I ended up removing the 'b"pillar side panel behind the door latch bar. I cut the screw supporting the latch bar behind the pillar. I removed the door by unscrewing the four screws door hinges and carefully removing the door without trashing the wire loom going to it. It was a b***h! To this minute, the door nylon latch bar is still clasping the rusted door lock assembly. I will replace the lock assembly later. Here in the Catskills there are rust issues. I hope this doesn't happen to my enemies!!
I Thank you for your input.

Tyson128

Same problem with my 1998 Mountaineer. Driver's side passenger door is stuck, even with the panel off and lots of Kroil(super WD-40.

exact door, exact problem:mad:. think im going to go the route you did.

Right rear door

exact door, exact problem:mad:. think im going to go the route you did.

I replaced the lock assembly yesterday after the locks used ($35) latch. and the inside handle assemly ($12) Latch bar $7.
Not fun, I know the proper adjustment for the whole door will take a while.

yeah i finally brought mine to the shop and had them open it then had to put a new latch in

Hey I guess Im going to have to try this weekend my read drivers door wont open with either handle the outside one feels sloppy likes its not connected to anything. I can see the bar inside of the door and i pull it push it turn it I cant open the door no matter what so I guess Ill have to do it on the B side unless anyone else knows what I am doing wrong??

My 99 did it to me a few months ago and I found that a small spring inside the latch was broken allowing the lock lever to drop about half way jamming both levers.

Solution: Replace the latch. I got mine from the junk yard for about $5.00. It took me about an hour or so, the killer is getting the panel and inner skin off without damaging it.

It makes it easier to remove the window track inside the door. This is very simple. There is one nut and one bolt holding it in. the bolt is on the jam above the latch and the nut is inside the doo near the bottom can’t miss it.(you will need to carefully roll the window up after track removal)

When replacing the latch make notes on were and what the different rod connect to and how they are connected. There are 4 rods in mine, I did not hook mine up right and now the key lock doesn’t unlock.
However I have the keypad so not all is lost.

This should be a recall issue. I have seen and heard of this problem from allot of people.

Getting the door panel off is half the battle...

You need a new latch... There is a small spring in there, and when it breaks, despite the power lock actuator trying to unlock, nothing moves. Drive it down a VERY bumpy road while trying to hit the unlock button and the link in there may jiggle itself into the proper position to let it unlock. Don't lock it again until you replace the latch.

Getting to be a pretty common issue here...

-Joe

My X had both doors inoperable when I bought it...When I got the door panels off, I grabbed the long metal rod backward with extreme force and the drivers door popped open!!! Replaced the latch from the dealership after working on removing the drivers seat to pull the door panel... Didn't pull the seat on the passenger side; just pulled the door panel after dropping the window..

Opened the passenger door the same way as the drivers door.. Took 1 hr to fix the drivers door...Took 18 mins to fix the passenger side..

In both cases the spring in question fell out when I removed the latch from each of the doors...Seems to be a poor design...

Back