Drivers side differential axle seal R&R | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers side differential axle seal R&R

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
Not sure what's causing a loud clunk every once in a while, while going over a bump with my left wheel. It's almost like once I get the clunk, what ever it was gets 'set' as I won't get any more noise for some time.

I do know that my axle seal is leaking. And at low speeds over pumps that bounce the Ex (low speeds) my Monroes squeak like they are old.

I'm going to replace the drivers side shock and the sway bar links while I'm at it.

I'm wondering how difficult it is to replace the differential seal?
When I remove the axle, will fluid leak out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

#4 if you jack up just that one side I don't believe much fluid can come out. I don't really know how accessible the axle tube but a slide hammer with screw on the end works good for seal pulling.

The axle tube on the passenger side seems to be okay. Have a shock and sway bar repair items on order. Will do it all at once. Hoping the sway bar is the clunk noise.

My bar is squeaking a bit, going over the 1" lip into the garage. I think my sway bar bushings because I sprayed silicone and it stopped temporarily.

Back