How much lift can I expect from 3/4 left of torsion bolt? Pictures inside. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much lift can I expect from 3/4 left of torsion bolt? Pictures inside.

ryanmagahis

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Just measured it and thats all that's left just about. But I'm not sure if it's already high enough where I need to twist it just a bit for clearance, or need to do a whole lot more than that. And honestly I don't think I'm going to get clearance out of 3/4 left of a bolt.

This is the height that it's at right now:
Photo-0033.jpg

This is the passengers torsion bolt:
DSC_1001.jpg

And this is the Driver's side torsion bolt:
DSC_0997.jpg

Both are about and pretty close to 3/4

And it was so hard trying to get those pictures haha. Sorry they're not too great though.

And also I figured I'd just go ahead an add these in just to give you an idea of if I can fit 32's pretty well or not:

This is the passenger side clearance:
DSC_1004.jpg

DSC_1006.jpg

DSC_1005.jpg

Driver's side:
DSC_1008.jpg

DSC_1007.jpg

DSC_1009.jpg

DSC_1011.jpg

Please give me any input necessary!
And I realize that these pictures may be worthless but hey, I have an slr type camera and I always go nuts with it. Especially with the fisheye lens. But maybe and hopefully it will be helpful for input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might get a 1/4" - 1/2" if you are lucky. You can buy longer bolts. There is a thread that gives the thread size but I don't know which one.

What torsion bars do you have? It says on the driver side door if you didn't already know this.

get the tires, if they rub crank some more or trim

Honestly i wouldnt go up much higher if i were you. i went up way to high a few months ago and lost all downward travel in my suspension. It will ride like crap and start to wear parts out very very fast.

Dan, I'm not sure but I did look. It said TR above the letter D. That was the only thing that I could find to make sense for the bar.

Jimbo, I'm all up for trimming as long as I don't have to cut any metal. Metal that shows anyway. And they're going on a 15x8 rim so that should make thing's harder.

Paraphoe, thanks for the links. And couldn't it just be bought at a home depot, lowes, or any other hardware store?

Carlover, yeah I am having second thoughts about this but not just yet. And honestly, I feel that I wouldn't be able to feel the difference. If I did, I'd probably get used to it in about 4 days.

Paraphoe, thanks for the links. And couldn't it just be bought at a home depot, lowes, or any other hardware store?

You will need an M12x1.75 Grade 10.9 Most hardware stores dont carry that high of a grade in metric sizes. (They usually go up to 9.8)

Hokie is correct. It's easier to just order them online than try rooting around to find a shop in your area that carries them.

Carlover, yeah I am having second thoughts about this but not just yet. And honestly, I feel that I wouldn't be able to feel the difference. If I did, I'd probably get used to it in about 4 days.

You can definitely feel the difference. The ride is a lot stiffer, you feel every little bump. It kinda sucks, but such is the price we pay for height. :D

Ohh ok, thanks for the tips on the blots guys. Yeah I should have thought that through more. I have the adjustable ranchos and I put te rear to 9. The ride was so bumpy. They're good at 5 or 4 for me.

Hmm, these lift spindles, where could I get them? Not a fan of ebay and stuff like that though. And I heard they were discontinued? And you have to replace breaklines and other items? I'm not sure. If it's just a swap from the old ones and no replacing other parts I'd think about it a lot more.

Ranger edge lift spindles will work also. You do not have to buy new brake lines just relocate the current bracket. Its a very easy swap and is good for at leadt 3.5 inches in the front. There are a few companies that make them for explorers still, i believe chassis tech is one of them. I know there are a few for sale on dezertrangers.com.

This is probably way more than oyu want to spend, but this is the best of the best camburg. This is their entry level mid travel kit. Excellent stuff, but kinda pricey.
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55917

Checked out the one on chassis tech. Is the "1995 - 2007 FORD EDGE EXPLORER 3" SAME AS EDGE ADJ CarmsS REC" same as the "1995 - 2001 FORD EXPLORER EXPLORER 3" SAME AS EDGE ADJ CarmsS REC"?

The one for the ford edge explorer is only 279. Figured I might as well get that instead of the one for 500.

I'm really starting to consider these instead of the tt. Maybe I'd do the tt + soa for 33's in the future. Waay in the future. Thank's for the advice

Back