• Register Today It's free!

dual batteries?

skoobydoobiedew

Reaction score
City, State
St. Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
im looking into investing in a multi-mount winch in the near future. right now im getting everything prepped for it (bumper receiver hitch, wiring, etc.) im wondering...

1. should i go with two batteries? or would 1 be enough?
2. are optima batteries really worth the extra $$??
3. what color top optima batteries should i get? (both same? 1 of each?)
4. would two regular batteries be good enough?(both starting? 1 deep cycle?)
5. can i use a marine battery switch? (like the link below) ive installed these in a few boats ive worked on
6. what is a good way to wire up a winch for front and rear access?
7. is a 9000lbs winch worth the extra $$ over a 8000lbs winch?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARI...26449QQitemZ4591075585QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

sorry for all of the questions... i just want to do this the right way to insure i dont have any problems

thanks for all of your help in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure others will chime in, but here is my $0.02:

1) I would always run dual batteries with a winch. You might get away with one battery for a while, but someday you might need to winch the vehicle because the engine won't run (flooded, etc.) and the exra power reserve will be important. Nothing worse than getting unstuck and not being able to start the vehicle.

2) Yes and no. The Optima is a great battery, but I find it's primary advantages are that it's sealed, resistant to vibration, and can be run at severe angles. I have run them in the past, but now I run the Walmart brand and find it offers just as much power for much less money.

3 & 4) I would run one regular battery and one deep cycle with some form of isolation. That way you can run the winch from the deep cycle and if you kill it, you can still run the vehicle.

5) I have seem similar switches used with good success. My only concern is that certain alternators require a special switch to prevent "spikes" when switching that could kill the alternator. I believe there is a diod version of the switch that prevents problems.

6) Use quality cable. The longer the run, the thicker the cable. I would use something like item #37722 from www.waytekwire.com for your disconnects, and 2/0 wire. Crimp, solder, and shrink wrap all splices and keep splices to a minimum.

7) I use the rule of thumb "twice the loaded weight of your vehicle". Speed is more of a concern to me than capacity; you can always use a block and tackle to increase the capacity.

Good luck!

For a 4dr Explorer, I wouldn't get anything below a 9k lb winch. I think a perfect setup would be a Yellow top and a Red top. Red for starting, running the normal things. Yellow for winch, lights, etc. Also, I would definitely say dual batteries no matter what. Especially considering you have a system and SIX! offroad lights. Possibly a bigger alternator as well. Not really sure about the switch.

yeah, the lights are about 80% for looks. they are fully functional but i very rarely ever wheel at night. the system is there, but there again, i never max it out. plus i never use it on the trails and would never use it while winching, unless of course i had my *dukes of hazard* theme song playing... just kiddin : ) .i think ill eventually go with a 9500lbs mile marker winch with a brand new cranking battery and a deep cycle battery. not optima at the moment, but someday yes. because $100 total is more realistic for me than $300 total (walmart vs. optima). im still not sure on the wiring for the winch. any thoughts??? thanks again!!!

skoobydoobiedew said:
yeah, the lights are about 80% for looks. they are fully functional but i very rarely ever wheel at night. the system is there, but there again, i never max it out. plus i never use it on the trails and would never use it while winching, unless of course i had my *dukes of hazard* theme song playing... just kiddin : ) .i think ill eventually go with a 9500lbs mile marker winch with a brand new cranking battery and a deep cycle battery. not optima at the moment, but someday yes. because $100 total is more realistic for me than $300 total (walmart vs. optima). im still not sure on the wiring for the winch. any thoughts??? thanks again!!!

If you get the Walmart deep cycle battery, it will have both top and side posts. I would use the top posts to tie into your wiring and dedicate the side posts for the winch install.

alrighty! so if worst comes to worst... could i start my engine on the deep cycle? but even so, now that I think about it.. how will I get both batteries to charge, but still isolate them? any input would be great because Im so lost...

You might look at the info here:
http://www.4x4central.com/tips.htm
scroll down about halfway down to the dual batt setup with a NICE pic. And that's a 1st gen, just like ours.

many late 80-early 90 ford diesel trucks came with dual batteries. you can find the dual battery solenoids in a pick your part or from the dealer. its just as easy to wire as a painless system

Back