• Register Today It's free!

Dumb question about warn hubs

Garbear

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeside California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT Exploder
After you install warn hubs, do you leave your switch on 4x all the time, or do you still use the push buttons and get out and turn the hubs. Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

still use the push button to turn off your 4x. This will disengage the transfer case.

all the switch does is engage the transfer case... the hubs lock the axleshafts to the differential.....

when using 4x4 you will need to get out lock the hubs in, and press the button on the dash

when wanting to go to 4x2 from 4x4, you will need to get out, unlock the hubs and press the button on the dash.....

So this mod will eliminate shift on the go? Or could you still do that if you left the hubs locked in all the time?

Originally posted by jimabena74
when wanting to go to 4x2 from 4x4, you will need to get out, unlock the hubs and press the button on the dash.....

Actually unlocking the hubs is not required to place the truck in 2wd. Pushing the 4x2 button is all that is required. Driving with the hubs engaged will not harm anything. Actually driving with the hubs engaged once in a while will keep the front end lubed up if you don't use 4x often.

Thanks, I was wondering if this might be a solution to my shift motor not working, took it apart and it still doesn't work, I think that I indexed it wrong or didn't clean the finger contacts well enough.

Originally posted by redrig
So this mod will eliminate shift on the go? Or could you still do that if you left the hubs locked in all the time?

As long as the hubs are engaged you can still use shift-on-the-fly.

Hey garbear your shift motor doesnt work either?

Mine wont shift into 4x4 at all. I hear no sound or anything.

Do you hear the three clicks from the rear pana; where your jack and rear washer bottle is after you press the button?

the hubss are totaly not related to the shift motor. Try taking the shift motor off the case and having someone push the 4x button and watch the motor. Does it turn?

Ya i do hear a click in the rear. What does that mean?
What should i do?

The clicking has to do with the computer for the shift motor finding an error, I believe if you hear 3 clicks, the motor is the problem, and the computer is ok, go here if you haven't already and read about fixing the shift motor, I was intimidated at first by the pics and the descriptions, but it wasn't all that bad, just remember to clean the finger contacts well before you reinstall it, it was hard because you have grease on your hands when doing the work. Dead Link Removed

don't worry, i was confused too when i had my manual hubs put on my 92.....:)

ALso lightly sand the ends of the brushes where they contact the armature. Use a fine paper

Back