Duration of 3-flash lane switch signal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Duration of 3-flash lane switch signal

Just to keep this going, I actually do it the old fashion way by holding the stalk until I've completed my lane change. I use the 3 flash when signaling to exit the freeway in minimal traffic.

Whether you think 3 blinks is long enough or not, it wouldn't meet the law requirements in MN so you could get ticketed for it.

And yes, I change my oil when the vehicle says so(well ~20% remaining). Oil analysis indicates I still have a few 1000 miles left on oil at that point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whether you think 3 blinks is long enough or not, it wouldn't meet the law requirements in MN so you could get ticketed for it.

No wonder nobody likes to visit Minnesota. :burnout:

Depends on where you are driving. In MN, for example, by law, you must signal at least 100 feet before your maneuver and continue until you have completed.

So, at 60mph, you must signal for just over 1 second before you start your lane change and continue until you are fully in the next lane. Using the 3 blink option, your blinker pretty much stops before you even start moving.

I will say I break the law quite often with the 100ft law. I essentially do what you state(look, signal, maneuver), but I don't rush over to the next lane.

Just for fun, last night I attempted to change lanes within 3 blinks(ignoring the 100ft law). As goochman stated, that felt like a NASCAR style lane change. I would say 5 blinks was reasonable(a little over 3 seconds) without rushing or dragging it out.

well see you're in MN. those people are crazy and might as well be canadian.

last time I was in MSP driving around I probably should have had my hazard lights on for the way I was swapping lanes through traffic.

:D

I could see a few state laws going odd. it's mostly for intent anyway.

around my area turn signals are apparently optional equipment.

yeah but when do you change your transaxle fluid?

Recently got rid of a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, and I have to say that there are a few 'cute' features on it. One was the ability to change the 3 flash to 5 flash or 7 flash. I found the 5 flash to be ideal in most circumstances. On my 2013 F-250 the 3 flash turns into 5 flash when towing a trailer hooked up to the 7 prong connector. Nice extra flashes. If it were possible to borrow features from all makes, we could pretty much have an ideal set of features on our dream toy!

well see you're in MN. those people are crazy and might as well be canadian.

last time I was in MSP driving around I probably should have had my hazard lights on for the way I was swapping lanes through traffic.

:D

I could see a few state laws going odd. it's mostly for intent anyway.

around my area turn signals are apparently optional equipment.

Crazy Canucks lol. What are you saying?

that silly 3 flash for me is only useful on right hand turns when I'm travelling fairly fast

The 3 flash program can be changed with Forscan. So far only the F series trucks seem to change duration according to posts here. No one yet has mentioned that the Explorer does it as well.

Peter

The 3 flash program can be changed with Forscan. So far only the F series trucks seem to change duration according to posts here. No one yet has mentioned that the Explorer does it as well.

Peter
I lost my Forscan at 8 days after birth so I don't know nothin' 'bout that.

I changed mine to 6 with for scan. I may go to 5 but three is not enough. If you push it all the way and put into continuous flash then change lanes and push it in the same direction again it will cancel the flashing.

What OBD-II reader did you use? I would like one that works on my older ford hybrid and my wife's Honda.

...... If you push it all the way and put into continuous flash then change lanes and push it in the same direction again it will cancel the flashing.
That only applies to pre 2016 models.

Peter

You can change how many flashes it will do with Forscan. I agree with you all that it should be longer. Ours now blinks 5 times. There are other options too like 7 and 9 I think.

Here is where Zodiac found the video by Chad Frasier and the next one is where I confirmed it.

Here is something that was recently found on F150Forum, haven't had a chance to test it yet though:

Credit goes to AirborneApe:

Turn Signal Blink Rate

SCCM
724-01-01 xxxx xYxx xx:

0 = Triple flash disabled
4 = Two flashes
6 = Default Triple flash operation
7 = Turn signal stays on until canceled
8 = Four flashes
A = Five flashes
C = Six flashes
E = Seven flashes

Ok just tested the turn signal modification on my 2013 and it works!

Here is an alternative interpretation according to Livnitup:

Electronic Turn Signal Cancel Cfg:
SCCM 724-01-01 xxxx x*xx xx
0,1,2,3=1 flash
4,5= 2 flashes
6,7= 3 flashes
8,9= 4 flashes
A,B= 5 flashes
C,D = 6 flashes
E,F= 7 flashes

It works on the 2011
Also pre 2016. They changed the switch in 2016 so the lever stays in either the up or down position so pressing the lever when it's already up or down won't accomplish anything. Pre 2016 models had the lever go back to the neutral position after it was activated. Hated that!!

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also pre 2016. They changed the switch in 2016 so the lever stays in either the up or down position so pressing the lever when it's already up or down won't accomplish anything. Pre 2016 models had the lever go back to the neutral position after it was activated. Hated that!!

Peter

Was joking with you lol.

Back