Dusy Ershim Summer/Fall 2018. 6 days 5 nights. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dusy Ershim Summer/Fall 2018. 6 days 5 nights.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Our attempt to run the trail earlier this year was denied with the trail not opening till today. So I am planning a trip to run it next year. The trail is located about 2 hours east of Fresno CA in the Sierra National Forest. It is 33 miles long as it cuts between two wilderness areas. It is a fairly challenging trail as lockers, 35"s, winch and HAM radio are highly recommended. Vehicle maintenance and build are critical as it can take days to get repair parts if they are needed.

The schedule I am thinking is as follows.

Day 1. Trailhead to Thompson Lake. 5-9 hours of trail time estimated depending on group size and rigs.

Day 2. Stay at Thompson Lake and hang out and maybe hike to Lost lake or a few other areas around.

Day3. Thompson Lake visit Summit Lake and camp at West Lake. 3-4 hours of trail time plus the time to visit Summit Lake

Day4. Summit Lake to Ershim Lake. 3-4 hours of trail time and maybe a little hiking or exploring along the way.

Day5. Stay at Ershim Lake. Fish hike relax or whatever.

Day 6. Ershim Lake to the end of the trail. 6-9 hours of trail time then a 3ish hour drive on forest service roads and highway etc back to Fresno or camp along the way out somewhere.

Exact dates will set in the spring depending on how much snowfall there is this winter. The trail is only open August 1 to November 1 each year at the most. I would like to aim for the week before Labor Day again but that is up for debate on what works with those who would like to attend.

Here are a few pictures from my trip in 2015.

IMG_0604 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0621 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0635 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

IMG_0688 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Back