ECU for Tranny Swap?

Arnie897

y=mx+b
Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Dodge Powerwagon
I'll be swaping my auto out for a 5spd here in the next few months and I'm gathering parts right now. I know I need a different ECU for this tack but which one? So here are my choices for the manual transmission ECU. Does anyone know which one of these will work for me? The ones listed below are all the choices I have for a 97 with a stick shift:

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 6-245 (4.0L), OHV, MT, Calif, ID F77F-AA
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 6-245 (4.0L), OHV, MT, Calif, ID F77F-AFA
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 6-245 (4.0L), OHV, MT, Calif, ID F77F-AFB
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 6-245 (4.0L), OHV, MT, Calif, ID F77F-AFC
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 6-245 (4.0L), OHV, MT, Calif, ID F7PF-DVA
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 6-245 (4.0L), OHV, MT, Fed, ID F77F-GA
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 6-245 (4.0L), OHV, MT, Fed, ID F77F-GB
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 6-245 (4.0L), OHV, MT, Fed, ID F77F-GC

Thanks

Arnie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I stopped by the Ford Dealership today and they told me to sell my truck and buy one with a stick shift because I was crazy to do this swap. They also stated that we know more than they do on this type of thing and that for no ammount of money would they attempt something like this. Does anyone have the answer?

I think there are two answers. There probably IS a correct choice, and I doubt anyone will know how to help you find it, or that you will find it on your own. Second is slowly becoming a truth in modifying cars/trucks in these days of computers. What used to be easy to do is now might on impossible since everything is becoming computer controlled. Find a computer that is right for the trannie and it's wrong for the engine, etc....<sigh> 'tis how it is.

Well I went back to a different dealership asking the same question today. They told me there is something called a calibration code for each setup. I don't know how to apply this code to what the parts yards are asking for though. Anyone?

I believe that calibration code is the last 2 or3 digits. When i bought mine i went to Ford and told them what i had, all the options. He asked me if it was california emissions or what ever and i just said no. It's been so long that i can't honestly remember what else he asked me when i bought mine. There is a tag on your computer. I think you have to pull it out. You can leave all the wires intac and still pull it out. Do that and see what the numbers are on yours, maybe that will help.

Thanks for the help Josh. I'll try that and go back to the dealership.

Ok....so now for an interesting turn of events. I went back to the ford dealership...again and with my current code, the parts lists the junkyards have, and a little info from here. They couldn't help me at all and didn't want to waste their time on my questions while they weren't busy at all. So I'm going to find a new dealership for my questions.

However, I called Ken @ Apten and they told me they could most likely custom burn a chip that would take care off all the problems I would have from the computer after the transmission swap. I'll let ya'll know if this is the answer to my questions. Plus I'll be getting an Apten chip for under the same amount the dealership wanted for a new computer :thumbsup:

Here's the deal: They'll take my current code and make the nessesary changes for the manual tranny. It's going to cost the same as the regular Apten chip, which is less than the new computer at Ford. They also sound much more knowledgable than the dealership. Apparently this can also work for people that want to swap a manual with their SOHC. I hope this info helps someone down the way.

Arnie

Wow that is pretty cool. I know the computer runs about 450, so that's awesome, good find!!

Back