EEC connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EEC connector

taxman1

Reaction score
Where exactle is the EEC-IV test connctor on a 1995 Ford Explorer? I have a manual that says it is behind the fuse box on the passenger side fender but I for the life of me don't see it.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try RH (passenger) side rear corner of engine compartment by blower/ A/C.

that's where my book shows.

On the 1st gen ('91-'94), the EEC-IV self-test connector is indeed on the passenger side. on my dad's '95, however, the self-test connector was on the driver's side.

EEC-IV test connector on my 1995 is christmas-tree'd to the front of the relay/power distribution box between the battery and the firewall.

95 Explorer EEC-IV

There is a EEC-IV connector on the drivers side that hides behind the power distribution box. The info I have found on various code readers is that they won't work with the 95 Explorer, Ranger, Windstar, and Villager 3.0 and 4.0 engines. Supposedly Ford put out some sort of OBD 1 1/2 system on those 2 engines and 4 models. There is also and OBD II connect under the dash at the steering wheel location. There is a small snap off cover for it. According to the Ford Truck CD manual it is non functional. We tried hooking up an OBD II code reader to it last night and the reader sees the computer but won't read anything. Since there were so few cars affected it is nearly impossible to find anything that will read it. I have checked around and even the Ford dealers have gotten rid of the stuff they had. I found a local dealer in Denton, TX who claims one of their techs has a high dollar Snapon scanner that can probably read it but they want $90 just to hook it up and try to read it. The service manager sounded kind of reluctant to want to even try it and of course I am not allowed to talk to the tech since that is against policy. If you find something that works please post it since i'm not fond of going through all the possible tests with a VOM.

I don't know anything about EEC-IV code readers that won't work on a '95, because I've never used a code reader. I've also never heard of a system in between EEC-IV and EEC-V. I do know that once, while driving to Idaho with my dad, his CEL came on in the middle of nowhere. Stopped and found a small piece of bailing wire on the side of the road, plugged it into the EEC-IV connector like on any EEC-IV vehicle, and counted the flashes of the CEL to get the codes. If all you need at this point is trouble codes, give it a try and see if it works.

Back