EGR valve not opening?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR valve not opening??

KyleC

Reaction score
I just got a code reader for my '93 XLT and got a code 33. It says that code 33 is "EGR valve not opening, insufficient flow detected". Does anyone know how to fix this or what parts are required? I tried to clear the codes but this one kept showing up. Because this is my first time with the code reader I am not 100% sure I read it right. It did this: (- =pause * =beep)

This was key on, engine off (KOEO)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if you look in a chilton or haynes book it will tell you how to test the egr valve. If it is bad get a new egr valve ($40 if i remeber correctly).

Hope this helps
keith

My Haynes book doesn't even mention the EGR valve at all. The only place in the whole book that even has the word "EGR" is in the trouble codes. It was very simple and easy to find on previous cars I have had (Probe 3.0L V6, Mazda MX6 2.2L Turbo) the Probe EGR valve was right on top of the motor staring right at you every time you opened the hood. I dont even know where to start looking on the Explorer, chances are a vacuum line might have come off, something simple like that.

Well on my 97 it is located just above the drivers side header. If you look at the header you will see a tube conected to it. Follow the tube (EGR valve to exhaust manifold tupe)and at the end will be the valve.

You might want to look in the index for Exhuast Gas Recirculation system. That is what they call it in my chilton book.

Hope this helps
Keith

KyleC
EGR valve in Haynes manuel is in chapter 6(emission and engine control systems) page 25-26.

------------------

shawna l.

My Haynes manual ('91 thru '95) only goes to page 11 in that chapter. I did some looking though and there is nothing coming or going from the drivers side manifold, but there is a large silver thing protruding from the pass. side manifold towards the front of the motor and goes into a rather large tube that heads off under the battery somewhere. Is this what I am looking for?

By the way, this is a '93 XLT....

I just got code reader myself for my 93 navajo and I too, get the three beeps(the scanner gives each code twice then goes to the next code) but there is a slight pause between each beep which I believe is identifying the engine as 6 cylinder, try putting your truck in gear and do a test (engine off of course) and you should get a code then, point being you may not have any codes, this way you can see how fast the light flashes when you do have a trouble code. As far as egr valve goes, I've looked everywhere on my truck and can't find one. I think 93's may not have one. the shiny piece you see with the 1.5 inch? hose coming off works the flap in the heat riser, it just pulls warmer air off the header until the truck warms up. I may be wrong, but it's my 2 cents. good luck!

Dano

[This message has been edited by Trane (edited 01-03-2000).]

Just checked out my 1994 and the EGR valve is located on the drivers side right behind the throttle postion sensor. It is mounted sideword to the intake manifold with 2 bolts and has a tube coming from the ext. manifold. It is about 1.5 inches round and you can check it with a vacuum pressure pump.

Trane,

I will save you the troble of looking any more I am not sure what model Explorers came with the EGR valve. but I called Mazda Of america to as about the EGR valve and they told me that when the Navajo was made none where made with EGR valves... Sounds funny that some Explorers had them no Navajos.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

Back