• Register Today It's free!

electical issues?

trashtruck

Reaction score
City, State
capital district, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer xlt 4x4
so I recently acquired a 92 explorer xlt and am trying to sort out some issues. for history the vehicle sat in op's back yard for 3+ years without a battery and without being started. truck has 170k miles. I've had to rebuild the brakes, ( new lines, fittings, spring kits, etc), new inner and outer tie rods, new upper and lower ball joints, new front axle u joints. I still need to replace plugs and wires.
truck starts and runs fine with key inserted correctly ( key will only work on one side). when truck starts it idles at 3k rpms or at 800 rpms as there is an issue with the tack.
fuel gauge constantly reads full. I have pulled the connector and grounded the signal wire to ground and gauge reads empty so I assume the sending unit is done.
truck operates normally but has developed a "stumble" like the fuel filter is starting to plug up so I replaced that with no improvement. check engine light is not on but koeo test revealed codes 542, 211.
question; could the fuel pump be on it's way out and would that trigger the 211 code as the engine wants to quit while driving?

Code 211 is the Crankshaft position sensor, which explains the stalling and the idle issue.

Code 542 is probably just a sticky relay.

If after 3 years sitting you didn't drop the tank and flush it out and replace the fuel filter and pump, you are certainly going to have fuel related issues. Keep running the sludge through it and you will kill the injectors.

Definitely remove the old fuel before trying to run it much more. New gas isn't nearly as good as the older blend. It shows in everything I have that's motorized from my push mower to my chain saw and even my riding mower and atv. After a couple of months of sitting the fuel is worthless and none of my stuff will run correctly. Also not to mention the gunk and varnish build up that its leaving everywhere while the engine is running. My personal advice would be a tune up,new pump,and filter,and an oil change. Fill with fresh fuel and take it somewhere you can get on it once it gets used to being run again. I would also say a good quality fuel system cleaner added to the tank should help remove the crud from the lines and injectors and tank. But be prepared to possibly have to replace the fuel filter a second time as it will collect everything from the tank and lines. Also when you drop the tank make sure to rinse it out really good with some really hot water(not boiling) and slosh it around for a few minutes to help breakup and remove anything that's in the tank. My ex has the cuttin out issue one it gets below 1/2 tank. Above 1/2 tank it runs like crazy (pumps on its way out tho) best of luck and I hope you get it straightened out.

ok, thanks folks. i did forget to mention the tank was empty when i got it but i had to put some fuel in to get it home. will be dropping the tank at my earliest opportunity.

Back