Electrical Gremlims - door locks and alarm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Gremlims - door locks and alarm

RoboRob

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
My door locks will repeatedly and randomly activate while driving the 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Just tonight, the alarm system went off by itself (of course just as I had fallen asleep) for the second time. A week ago the lights started flashing by themselves. Also the dash board light is out. What do you think coincidence or related?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same exact (02 eb 4.6)..similar issues which I will be looking into...either way If you've come across something useful or want my perspective...please don't hesitate

Similar happened to our Exp. The Driver Side "Door Ajar" switch would make a faulty contact (as is VERY common) and would set off the alarm, allow interior lights to stay on and not shut off etc.

The WD-40 trick worked temporarily. Replacing the switch has solved the issue..hopefully for quite a while.

Similar happened to our Exp. The Driver Side "Door Ajar" switch would make a faulty contact (as is VERY common) and would set off the alarm, allow interior lights to stay on and not shut off etc.

The WD-40 trick worked temporarily. Replacing the switch has solved the issue..hopefully for quite a while.

Thanks for the tip. Where is the "door ajar" switch? Is it part of the latch mechanism? My Haynes manual doesn't show a photo of it but it looks like the schematic shows it part of the driver's side door lock switch. Interestingly the overhead console light doesn't go on when I open the passenger door either but the manual switches on the overhead console lights work.

Also, my dash illumination lights are out. No fuses blown. I bought six new bulbs as there are 6 in the panel. Are they hooked in series so if one blows they all blow? Also, the fuel gauge is started to act up working intermittently but the rest of the dash gauges and idiot lights are working including the display panel on the lower right.
I tried checking the dimmer light switch as that doesn't turn them on and neither does the headlight switch when the headlights are on.

Got to catch these gremlins.

Just an update that may help others. I gave up and took the car to the shop. The mechanic said the problem was a loose connection block where many different wires converge. He didn't tell me where or which one (trade knowledge I guess). But tightening up screws holding the block seems to have solved the problem. Anyone have an idea what connection block he was talking about?

I dont know of any ? But I have seen many broken wires in drivers door bellows many of them make weird things happen. Mainly a broken ground wire to door and it uses the door hinges and latch as ground and the problems you describe sounds like this is the cause.

I had a corroded wire in the door keypad harness that caused some strange things as well. It finally shorted out and no longer works. Just disconnected the harness to prevent future damage.

Back