Electrical Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Issues

thll

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford explorer
95 Ford explorer wont start. Had a battery problem 6 months ago, ended up replacing the alternator, so rule out alternator.

Right now had it sit for 2 days, came back and found the battery dead, charged it up, checked to see how much power it was drawing, was about an amp..

Found that it was fuse 1 in the interior fuse panel drawing all that power (power antenna module and power mirror switch) Removed it.

Still drawing about 250ma which I thought was still high and after pulling fuse 25 it dropped to 15ma. Figured out that the cars "battery saver stays on" and after a minute would drop. So I put back fuse 25 and after a min car drops to 150ma at resting.

Now when I try to start it it says "check guages" and battery guage is low.
Tried with a brand new battery and still says "check guages" and battery guage is low.
No start...

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If everything is in tact (charging system), there are only 2 things to cause your problem...alternator and battery. A new alternator most certainly does not rule it out as the culprit...especially a duralast (here come the boooooos). I'm not a fan of anything electrical with the autozone brand.

I appreciate the advice but the problem is neither because it would at least turn over with a jump if it was battery or alternator but jumping doesnt work, no turn overs, no clicks. The problem is something is blocking it to start. No theft lights, just a solid battery light and "Check guage". Anyone have schematics to the starter? Im looking for a hidden fuse or trying to see if there is some sort of "lock" preventing it from starting.

So to be clear, it is not a low battery problem.
It is a no cranking issue.
Just confusing with your first post, it sounds like a power draw and dead battery.

Yeah I just realized I should have labeled this as no crank issues

Fixed it. Fuse 1 was the issue for the power draw, just removed it who needs power mirrors anyways.

The no crank issue was the shift lever being incredibly sensitive held in a slight neutral and cranked up.

Yep, it would have been a big help to know that it wasn't cranking. Definitely a different issue altogether.

There is a way to adjust the gear shift dash indicator under the steering column. A cable runs from the internal part of the lever to the indicator needle. The adjuster sometimes breaks and has to be replaced or fixed. My '95 has two mini zip-strips that hold it in place...no failures for nine years running. When that adjuster pops out, it won't allow the shift lever to come all the way to park. Those that just "live with it" find out the hard way when the truck jumps into reverse while running.

Back