jeremy0000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ranger, 2.3L, manual
1995 Ford Ranger XL.
4 cylinder/2.3 L,
Manual Transmission
300,000 miles

I have had an intermittent starting problem for several months with my Ford Ranger. When I turn the key I hear a click coming from the starter solenoid mounted on the driver side fender. After the click none of my lights will turn on. If I jostle the positive cable terminal the solenoid clicks again, and it usually starts when I turn the key again. The cables were corroded so I figured that was the problem. I replaced the terminal on the positive battery cable and replaced the negative cable. I replaced the cable going from the positive post to the starter relay as well with new 10 gauge cable. After doing this I had no power what so-ever. Lights will not even turn on - (this was a turning point, as before I did this I at least had dash lights, signals, horn and head lights). The cable going to the starter solenoid on the fender was initially 8 gauge so I installed a brand new 8 gauge cable but it did not change anything. Still nothing. Did the 10 gauge cable damage something?

My volt meter reads 12.64 on the battery between positive and negative posts. I also read 12.64 between negative battery post and positive post on the starter solenoid. I have 12.64 volts between the positive battery post and the intake manifold, as well as spark with a wire held to each of those points. I also have 12.64 volts on the starter where the positive battery cable connects and zero voltage drop between positive battery post and positive post on the starter solenoid. Voltage between positive battery post and alternator casing reads 3+ volts.

I am able to start the truck by jumping the positive battery post to the 's' terminal of the starter solenoid. The lights work while I hold this jump as well. I assume this means the starter solenoid is doing its job.

A voltage test between the negative battery post and the 's' terminal wire with the boot reads zero.

I installed a brand new ignition switch, new negative battery cable, and the starter is about 2 years old. I checked all of the fuses in the power distribution box under the hood as well as the panel on the side of the dash. Currently I have no power what so ever. Nothing works. Help will be greatly appreciated.

The starer solenoid has three bolts. Positive cable, 's' terminal and the third one that has three wires connected to it, one of which goes to the power distribution box. I took that wire which goes to the distribution box and connected it directly to the positive cable terminal of the starter solenoid and all of the interior electrical came on (dash lights, windshield wipers, turn signals).

Does this tell us anything about the starter solenoid?
I think I might just replace it since its $25.
Thanks again.

The starer solenoid has three bolts. Positive cable, 's' terminal and the third one that has three wires connected to it, one of which goes to the power distribution box. I took that wire which goes to the distribution box and connected it directly to the positive cable terminal of the starter solenoid and all of the interior electrical came on (dash lights, windshield wipers, turn signals).

Does this tell us anything about the starter solenoid?
I think I might just replace it since its $25.
Thanks again.

I think thats your answer. And nice troubleshooting.

Back