• Register Today It's free!

Electrical system trouble

jbain2

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Cove, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' XLT
I have been having problems with my electrical system. I recently replaced the battery and terminal connectors becuase I would have to jump the Exp after I turned it off. The battery got completely drained while it was running. Now when I am stopped the electrical system fluctuates and the gauge bounces up and down. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by jbain2
I have been having problems with my electrical system. I recently replaced the battery and terminal connectors becuase I would have to jump the Exp after I turned it off. The battery got completely drained while it was running. Now when I am stopped the electrical system fluctuates and the gauge bounces up and down. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

It might be time to replace the battery cables.. The 1st generation cables are known to corrode from within

sounds like a bad alternator/voltage regular autozone tests them for free

That might also be why it drained while running.

Probably is the alternator.. I guess I should read the post more throughly.. Since your guages are bouncing, I would say alternator.. If you can get it started, try pulling the neg terminal off and see if it stalls.. If it stalls, then it's your alternator.. Just don't leave it off for too long if it still runs otherwise you'll do damage.

Thanks guys. I will start with the alternator. I already replaced the cables and terminal connectors.

Make sure there is a good connection from the engine to the car body. There are grounding straps that go bad. The voltage will then be normal post to post on the battery but will be lower pos terminal to the frame. The dash gauge measures that voltage.

Back