How To: Install 200 amp alternator - Get the most from your electrical system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install 200 amp alternator - Get the most from your electrical system

korey89

Reaction score
For this tutorial I am going to show you how to install a high output 200 amp alternator from Motor City Reman and do the "Big 3" wiring upgrade.

Tools Needed:
Socket set
Ratchet
Wire cutters
Hammer
Chisel
Wrench to loosen tensioner
Razor blade

Parts Needed:
Tsunami 1/0 wire
Tsunami terminals
1/0 wire lugs
shrink wrap
Motor City Reman alternator

48e3f957.jpg

Here is what we are going to be installing. A high output alternator, Tsunami 1/0 power and ground wire, and Tsunami batter terminals. The only thing that isn't pictured is the 1/0 wire lugs and shrink wrap, both can be purchased at various hardware stores.

01.jpg

When upgrading power wire you always want to make sure you have good quality wire. I really like Tsunami brand products. Their wire is true to size it is supposed to be, it is high quality, and the part that I like alot is the jacket is very thick. For being 1/0 it is very flexible too, you can tie small tight knots in it with ease. This makes routing it much easier.

02.jpg

The new alternator. As stated previously this is a unit from Motor City Reman. It is 200 amp versus the factory 95 amp unit, this upgrade will make a huge difference.

03.jpg

Before installing it, the little side pieces of plastic need to be trimmed off. These will get in the way of the new wire lug and are only there to hold the factory boot in place which isn't being reused anyway.

04.jpg

Here is the stock alternator hiding under the upper radiator hose and intake.

05.jpg

First take the intake off.

07.jpg

Now use a regular wrench to loosen the tensioner and take the belt off of the pulley.

06.jpg

Before going further, disconnect the battery terminals.

08.jpg

Now, the alternator is held in with 3 bolts. Remove them.

09.jpg

Now it is time to disconnect the alternator wires. The plugs simply unclip, and for the power wire you need to peel back the boot and there is a nut under it which you will remove. This will free the ring terminal. You can cut the boot off and discard it, it will no longer be used. Your alternator is now ready to remove.

010.jpg

Comparing the Motor City Reman unit the the original unit you will notice a few things. The first is the new alternator is slightly larger. It also has a smaller pulley which will help give you more amps at idle, as long as your old belt isn't stretched horribly then you will not need a new one.

011.jpg

Looking at the back you will notice the stud for the power lead is also moved, this makes things easier.

012.jpg

Now, bolt the new unit in and then connect your wires. You also need to make a new wire out of the 1/0 to go from the stud directly to your battery terminal. If you need help figuring out how to crimp the wire lug on, refer to my Probox subwoofer or Infinity Basslink tutorials. The same method is used.

013.jpg

I chose to route it along the same path as the factory cable goes. The Tsunami wire made this a lot easier since it is so flexible.

014.jpg

Wire coming up along with the stock wires which have already been cut from the stock terminal and stripped.

015.jpg

Attach to your new terminal.

016.jpg

Now it is time to do the ground wires.

017.jpg

Notice how small the factory chassis ground is, especially when compared to the new 1/0.

018.jpg

Cut that old cable out completely and replace it with 1/0 ground wire. You can connect it to the same location or down to the vehicle frame directly, just make sure you sand the metal first.

019.jpg

Our last wire we need to upgrade is the engine to chassis ground. The factory ground strap bolts to the very bottom of the very back of the block and you can't get to the bolt, but will we still use the factory chassis ground location.

020.jpg

For the engine ground we are going to use one of the bolts that hold on the alternator. Remove the bolt and then put your wire lug there.

021.jpg

Full path of the wire. Install done!

Here is a video showing my volts after. Before the install around full volume playing this song at idle my factory volt gauge would almost go all the way down, with voltage going to just over 12 volts. Watch the video to see how it is now in the same situation, speaks for itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYJ9lbrRPAM

For more information on the wire and terminals I used, visit Tsunami at Tsunami: RCA Cables: X20 RCA Cables Twisted

For more information on the alternator visit Motor City Reman at
MAXX High Performance Alternators

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THATS A GREAT WRITE UP

I wish I hadnt sold my subs. I miss them

Thanks for the write up!
I have a slight problem. Got my Mechman 270amp alt, put it in, and my belt wants to slip off my idler pulley. I have that annoying belt squeal and I dont think its doing any good because my actual voltage tends to fall at idle, range from 12 - 14V. I think this is all do to the smaller pulley on the new alternator, it extends outward a tiny bit more then the stock one.

Maybe rig something up and extend the idler pulley out?

My stock alt sits fine, just I dont like using it because the voltage doesnt drop more then .6 (usually sits at 13.8 nowadays, no higher no lower, was 14.4v when I first got my Ex) Sorta scares me that a stock alt can take a 3600RMS system and not drop more then .6 w/o the full "big 3"

You may have an excess amount of shims behind the pulley. Take off the alternator and then take an impact and take the pulley off of it. Just give the impact quick bursts and it will come right off without having to hold it from spinning. Adjust shims as needed and then tighten the pulley nut on the same way with the impact.

Great write up. Can you add a parts list for the Alternator and terminals?

You may have an excess amount of shims behind the pulley. Take off the alternator and then take an impact and take the pulley off of it. Just give the impact quick bursts and it will come right off without having to hold it from spinning. Adjust shims as needed and then tighten the pulley nut on the same way with the impact.
Will do! Thanks for the help bud!

Nice write-up!! I've got to do this on my truck. Thanks

Using this soon thanks, though how many wire lugs did you use? I think I'm coming up with 5

I will now consider upgrading my alternator after seeing this Write up you did a terrific job walking us all through the process of changing one over. Thanks for taking the time doing this it really does help seeing it done step by step. Great Job

Thanks for the write up. Really nice.

sweet job look real professional

Excellent pictures and explanation on the process.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and explanation is great on how to do the job. I'm looking at doing it to my truck this summer will have to look for a 200amp alternator to replace my factory one. Thanks again for taking the time doing it.

Back