Electrical troubleshooting advice is needed for my 1995 Eddie | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical troubleshooting advice is needed for my 1995 Eddie

alwms2

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
I was driving home on sunday and the gauges and light started to flicker then the truck shut off on me on the expressway. when i tried to start it the sound just went click click click click. Help please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possible that your alternator stopped working and you were running just on the battery. When the alt quits the battery voltage slowly drops and weird things happen, like flickering gauges. When the voltage gets low enough the truck will die and most likely not have enough juice to re-start.(hence the click,click, click)

Trade those bolt-on battery cable ends for a real cable with a soldered on battery connector. That said recheck the battery connections. Otherwise be prepared for this to happen again...and again.

Bill

I had it towed to a shop here in hammond Indiana and the guy said it was the Alternator & Battery.
Price to get it fix i was quoted $400.00 that sounds a bit much
What do you guys think

That's a little high, not outrageous. But with labor, probably close. DIY, probably $200ish.

And you may not need a new battery. Just replace the alternator first. Pretty easy DIY job; get out for a little over $100 if all you need is a new alternator. Good luck.

Again, check the cables before spending money on an alternator/battery. Been doing this way too long to just roll over and accept a bad component diagnosis without doing the basic stuff first.

Bill

The battery is fine most likely, it was drained from the bad alternator. Jsut replace the alt, have the mechanic charge the battery and see what happens.

Back