• Register Today It's free!

Electronic 4X4 Problems

criley

Reaction score
City, State
Newark, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 RANGER STX 4X4
OK...I have spent countless hours reading every thread and "how-to" post, but I still can't fix my 4X4. Sorry in advance, but this is going to be pretty long to explain all that I have done. I have a 86 and a 87 Ranger, both with the 2.9l engine, automatic transmission, and electronic 4X4.

The 86 did not have a transfer case motor when I bought the truck. I put the truck in 4X4 manually to test it and everything mechanical worked. The 87 4X4 worked perfectly but the tranny was shot. I put the transfer case motor on the 86 and nothing happened.

When you push the 4 high button = nothing, when you push the 4 low button = a very quick flash of both indicator lights. I then swapped the control panel and buttons from the roof and the control module from under the panel in the top of the dash, still nothing. No clicks of relays, no nothing. I followed the "how-to" thread on resetting the control module but the led will not light up.

All these parts worked on one truck, so what am I missing? I cannot find any fuse dedicated to the 4X4 or anything to tell me what wires should be hot and when. What is my next step?

Its your lucky day, I owned an 86 Bronco II and still have the Ford Shop manual for it.
I looked up The Borg Warner 13-50 transfer case and they do have diagnostic information.
If you want send me your email address and I will try to scan it and send it to you.
The hardest part is taking this huge binder apart.

That would be great...I am about to lose what is left of my mind. :confused:

criley@alltel.net

Thanks so much!

Back