Emergency brake won't light when set!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency brake won't light when set!!!!

02XLS

Reaction score
City, State
The 51st state South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
2002 Exploder XLS V6 - 74K miles
OK, I was driving to the inspection station to get my Explorer inspected and then I realized that the emergency brake light isn't working. Never friggggging fails. Everytime I take a car to the inspection station something goes wrong. Anyway the e-brake does light on start-up BUT when I set the e-brake "no light", sometimes a quick flicker of light. Any insight fellas...Is this a DIY repair???

Thx, 02XLS.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably a DIY , look for the switch down by the pedal, if there is one could be a loose wire,

Thx, I'll try to check it Sunday...anyone else have any insight???

02XLS

Agree with the fault being there at the switch. It could also be loose, mis-adjusted or have dirty contacts. All should be DIY fixes, especially with help from this forum.:thumbsup:

Okay, I found the switch right on the kick panel at the top of the lever. Everytime I touched the top portion the light would come on but go out when I reset the brake. I removed the switch and sprayed some wd-40 on it, reintstalled and walah! she's working again. What a simplistic looking part. Just some plastic, a screw and a metal dowel w/ a spring on it. Situation resolved, onto the inspection station on Tues.

Thx fellas...

02XLS

Back