98 Explorer Instrument Cluster Replace: Auto/Manual? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Instrument Cluster Replace: Auto/Manual?

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
The Instrument Cluster on a 1998 Explorer Sport has a short in it that blows the fuse when one of the wiring ports is connected, associated with the speedometer. I found one that was refurbished, tested working, all good...except upon closer examination of the two side-by-side I realized the one I got is for an automatic transmission, and mine is a manual. There's an adjustable cable attached that links the gear indicator to the an automatic shifter. The vehicle has over 200k miles on it and if the cluster will still work, albeit with an unused gear indicator I'm fine with that. But...when I look at the circuit panel on the back of the cluster I noticed a circuit and pathway on the potential replacement cluster that isn't on the original cluster I pulled from the truck. From where the pathway is positioned looks to be associated with the anti-theft light and circuitry in the cluster. But that's just by looks. Picture is attached, #1 is my old one, #2 is the replacement, I've circled where the extra circuit is on the picture.

Will this replacement instrument cluster work properly? I honestly don't care about the transmission indicator that's out of place on a manual, just as long as the rest of the functionality of the cluster will operate as it's supposed to without smoking a circuit or fuse. I'd have hooked it up to test it if it was just the gear indicator cable, but that extra circuit and pathway on the circuit board has me more cautious. Experience and expertise tips welcome.

Explorer Cluster Back Circuit.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Instrument Cluster on a 1998 Explorer Sport has a short in it that blows the fuse when one of the wiring ports is connected, associated with the speedometer. I found one that was refurbished, tested working, all good...except upon closer examination of the two side-by-side I realized the one I got is for an automatic transmission, and mine is a manual. There's an adjustable cable attached that links the gear indicator to the an automatic shifter. The vehicle has over 200k miles on it and if the cluster will still work, albeit with an unused gear indicator I'm fine with that. But...when I look at the circuit panel on the back of the cluster I noticed a circuit and pathway on the potential replacement cluster that isn't on the original cluster I pulled from the truck. From where the pathway is positioned looks to be associated with the anti-theft light and circuitry in the cluster. But that's just by looks. Picture is attached, #1 is my old one, #2 is the replacement, I've circled where the extra circuit is on the picture.

Will this replacement instrument cluster work properly? I honestly don't care about the transmission indicator that's out of place on a manual, just as long as the rest of the functionality of the cluster will operate as it's supposed to without smoking a circuit or fuse. I'd have hooked it up to test it if it was just the gear indicator cable, but that extra circuit and pathway on the circuit board has me more cautious. Experience and expertise tips welcome.

View attachment 439229
Remove the overdrive light bulbs so it's not flashing
The gear selector indicator can be removed and swapped over tiny little clips on the bottom

Can you possibly take pictures of the bottom and the other side
Save your original cluster the parts will be very valuable to you in due time

Remove the overdrive light bulbs so it's not flashing
The gear selector indicator can be removed and swapped over tiny little clips on the bottom

Can you possibly take pictures of the bottom and the other side
Save your original cluster the parts will be very valuable to you in due time
What is that additional circuit added to the panel for? Is it a concern? Like I said, it looks to be near the anti-theft function, but maybe it's automatic gear related. I just don't want to plug it all in and result in the cluster failing. Note: The clusters are the exact same measurements, any difference in sizes that appear are shadows and camera angle.

Here's more pics.

Explorer Cluster Bottom.jpg Explorer Cluster Front.jpg

It will work fine people here swap clusters all the time including me
Mine was the red one I put in the green one all I did was replace bulbs
I used arrows to show the clips so you can swap the gear indicator display with your blank one

Consider you may have a problem elsewhere Always consider
420163-29447ef452b43fa2a27d69e288aba91f_kindlephoto-61012430.jpg

What he said. The gear indicator in snaps there are two little prongs you move outwards and it will unlatch and pull out. Same for the manual “blank”

Clusters are mostly the same 98-01 across all explorers

Does your 98 sport have a chip key / pats security?

I would plug the new cluster in and see if the fuse still blows you are not going to hurt the new cluster

It will work fine people here swap clusters all the time including me
Mine was the red one I put in the green one all I did was replace bulbs
I used arrows to show the clips so you can swap the gear indicator display with your blank one

Consider you may have a problem elsewhere Always consider View attachment 439268
Thanks for tip on the gear indicator swap. I still would like to know what the additional circuit on the cluster #2 that isn't on cluster #1 before I go for it. Is it related to an anti-theft system? And if so that something that will alter the functionality of the cluster, the anti-theft system that is in the vehicle. It doesn't have a chip key.

What he said. The gear indicator in snaps there are two little prongs you move outwards and it will unlatch and pull out. Same for the manual “blank”

Clusters are mostly the same 98-01 across all explorers

Does your 98 sport have a chip key / pats security?

I would plug the new cluster in and see if the fuse still blows you are not going to hurt the new cluster
My 98 Sport doesn't have a chip key. It does have an alarm, anti-theft system, but is manual. Do you think that is what the additional circuit on the back panel is for? It runs along and between the rest of the ant-theft circuitry, is why I believe it is related. Could that result in setting on the alarm unexpectedly since it's not an exact match? I just want to know it's purpose before I install it, would give me peace of mind. I can return the replacement cluster now if I need to, but I'm concerned about damaging it and not being able to return it if that additional circuit is more meaningful than I think.

My 98 Sport doesn't have a chip key. It does have an alarm, anti-theft system, but is manual. Do you think that is what the additional circuit on the back panel is for? It runs along and between the rest of the ant-theft circuitry, is why I believe it is related. Could that result in setting on the alarm unexpectedly since it's not an exact match? I just want to know it's purpose before I install it, would give me peace of mind. I can return the replacement cluster now if I need to, but I'm concerned about damaging it and not being able to return it if that additional circuit is more meaningful than I think.
The answer is No it does not matter the circuit is there It's fine use it

You're asking us to go find an instrument cluster disassemble it to find out what an extra resistor is for
some have it there some don't It doesn't matter plug it in and try it

sometime in 98 all of our Fords got the chip key, so yes that is the likely difference!
IT will not hurt it to plug it in and try it
I dismantle and customize/refurbish/these clusters all the time
I often plug in different years to see the results, will not hurt the cluster

sometime in 98 all of our Fords got the chip key, so yes that is the likely difference!
IT will not hurt it to plug it in and try it
I dismantle and customize/refurbish/these clusters all the time
I often plug in different years to see the results, will not hurt the cluster
I swapped out the manual cartridge from #1 for the auto cartridge in #2.

I understand you saying I won't hurt the cluster, that's good to know. But what do you think about that chip key circuitry? Will that somehow trigger the anti-theft alarm on the truck when installed and there's no signal from a chip reader going through and completing the circuit?

The answer is No it does not matter the circuit is there It's fine use it

You're asking us to go find an instrument cluster disassemble it to find out what an extra resistor is for
some have it there some don't It doesn't matter plug it in and try it
Just trying to be as informed as is possible. You're right, disassembling it isn't quite possible. I know it will be speculation, but could the lack of a chip key reader signal coming in and completing a circuit cause the anti-theft system to be impacted? Wondering if it'll set off the alarm and whatever else the anti-theft system does?

Only part of that instrument cluster that is connected to the security system if you even have 1 is Is the flashing anti theft light that's it It will not hurt your car it doesn't hurt your pats module pcm module
Any of it
If there's gonna be a problem you would be the 1st 1 in 20 years on this form that had it

Here is the only wiring diagrams available if that helps

Attachments

• instrument-cluster-instrument-cluster-circuit-1-of-2.pdf
    82.6 KB · Views: 51
  • instrument-cluster-instrument-cluster-circuit-2-of-2.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 59

Here is the only wiring diagrams available if that helps
Update: I installed, seems to be working, only thing is the fuel gauge doesn't seem to be accurate. It has about 3/4 tank but is reading full, topped off level. Any thoughts on what's causing?

interesting?
the stock fuel sender should be sending the same ohms to the gauge 98-04 so I would think there is an issue with the gauge
OR
the needle was removed and replaced and is not on the dial correctly

seems whomever remanufactured your cluster jacked up the fuel gauge
You could actually remove the fuel gauge "pod" from your old cluster and install it in your "new" cluster rather easily (these components snap together)

as @donalds said the only thing additional would be the "theft" light bulb and associated circuitry
PATS security was added in 98 as was returnless fuel, however the fuel level gauge and float did not change (as far as I know)

Swap over your slosh module
As above you can swap over the gauge to

420151-c9b44b96f36cf29443419d4b4de7e6c4_kindlephoto-13724082.jpg

good idea!! Could be a difference in the anti slosh modules? Worth a shot
the anti slosh module makes sure the gas needle does not bounce as you drive as the fuel sloshes around
There could be a slight difference in them or one could be faulty

Back