• Register Today It's free!

Enclosure Question

snobrder9186

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 2Dr 4WD
I'm going to build my own box for my 2 10" subs which both require .75 cu. ft. What I was wondering was if I build a box to 1.5 cu. ft. if I should put in a divider between the subs or if I should just leave it open as one large cavity. Also, when I asked about how to wire 2 subs in parallel before someone suggested that I wire the left sub to the right sub's terminals then wire from one of the subs terminals wire to the enclosure's terminal cup, then to the amp. Would this work? Or would one of the subs be recieving more power than the other? Thanks A Ton!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put a divider between the subs so that they each have their own enclosure.. If one sub happens to die on you, then the other sub is still receiving it's recommended volume instead of the whole 1.5 cubes.

Putting a divider will make it stronger which is good but not needed. Yes that wiring will work.

Also if the subs want .75 cu. ft., make sure that you have that after displacement. So a 1.5 cu box won't give you the right size. You need to factor in how much air the subs themselves displace. Say they each displace .1 cu. Then you would need a 1.7 cu. box.

whoa.... what's after displacement? I've never heard anything about that when it comes to enclosure size! After reading the technical data on my subs it says: Vbox = .75 ft3(21.24 liters)(all sides lined with 1-inch fiberglass or fiberfill ) What does that mean!? I also found the "basket displacement" which is .08 ft3. Does that mean instead of 1.5 ft3 I need 1.66 ft3!? If so that really changes my enclosure design! Someone please straighten me out here!

when you make a box, you do displace the cubic feet when space is now taken up by the basket and magnet of the subwoofer. so you do need to add in the size of space the sub will be taking up inside the box. fiberfill, or poly fill, is material you put inside of the speaker box. what ive been told is,that material slows down the soundwaves inside the box, acting as if the box was bigger. i used poly fill inside my box, but i did not line it with that material. all i did was fill each chamber about 30%. you can find a bag of that stuff at any arts/crafts store for about $3. it is used to stuff animals and pillows. in my own opinion, you should be ok using your current demensions because the polyfill offsets the space displacement.

So wait I still need to add the .16 ft3 for "basket displacement" even though the spec sheet says .75 ft3?
Then What do i do w/ this polyfill stuff? Shove it in the hole? If so how much do I use? Thanx

yes, you were right in having to add .08 ft3 per chamber. that is what the factory called for. also, that includes stapling/glueing 1" thick polyfill to each wall. i have never seen it done that way, but if thats what the manufactuer calls for......i think you would be ok just loosely filling each chamber about 1/3 of the way with the poly fill and then screw in the sub.

Ok thanx! In quick reveiw(correct me if I'm wrong):
-Add .08ft3 to the factory's spec of .75ft3 per chamber
-Get polyfill and add about 1/3 into the sub box
-Install the sub and I'm ready to go! :D

Sounds about right.

right on!!! pretty soon, you will be BUMPIN!!!!

Back