Engine Block Heater.

Joe in NY

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4X4
Ok,

So we have already had several 30* mornings and my Explorer dearly misses Florida. It does not like the NY cold so far. The beeper sounds very weird, the HVAC takes a couple of seconds to bring the fan up to high and move the vent to defrost and floor, and the starter runs easy 2 extra seconds...

So, I did some searching on the web and have found the intended engine block which goes in place of one of the freeze plugs. The other is a small heater tank which uses coolant plugs as ports to the engine.

Which would you guys do?

The tank heater:

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-13100-Aluminum-Circulating-Heater/dp/B000BO8X9K/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1414029980&sr=1-3

Or the freeze plug block heater:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Block-Heater-kit-Engine-heater-Ford-4-2-4-6-5-0-5-4L-/181213545636?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a312b44a4&vxp=mtr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

block heater is easier and i for one can vouch for them working very well in down to -45 , i see that every winter,

any way of ordering the Ford block heater? All I can find is the KAT brand which doesn't have good reviews. I wish I had a block heater already. But being that this car came from florida, I doubt it.

go to your local dealer,, they will have the proper one,, and the install is easy,, push a block plug in sideways , pull out with pliers, put in the block heater , tighten the screw, plug in the cord, and enjoy,,

Called ford. $48 for the heater. But on cord! Ford doesn't make the cord any more???

Can anyone show a picture of where you would install a block plug heater? I am in need to adding one now that we are in North Dakota. Going to be calling the dealer soon to see if they have any in stock.

Thanks!

Back