• Register Today It's free!

Engine bogs down at 2500 RPM

'92Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Mamaroneck,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer 4X4 R.I.P
I am having an issue where once my RPM's reach 2500 the engine starts to bog and the gauge bounces around both when driving and in park. I believe this is related to some water that might have gotten sprayed on a sensor while driving last night when it was down pouring. The gauge last night also dropped to zero at one point but the engine was still running. I checked the air filter last night thinking some water might have been sucked up and it was kind of damp, so I replaced it with a new one and also checked the plugs and they are also fine. The check engine light is not on. I need my explorer for school and work tomorrow so any help would be really appreciated, thanks. This is for a auto 1992 four door Eddie with the 4.0 OHV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a tps or maf issue

My brother and cousin were messing with it all afternoon and checked both sensors and and repaced the maf but it is still acting up once it hits 2500rpm. The explorer start and idles just fine.

Still looking for some help, explorer is at my mechanic will let you guys know what they find.

My mechanic just called and told me it was the crankshaft postion sensor, so I am going to pick it up now and hoping for a smooth ride.

hi. i have a 2001 explorer xlt v6 and in park i rev the engine and at 3700 rpm the engine misses really bad. all new ignition components and no fault codes. i did notice my exhaust is so hot you can put your hand over the tail pipe. any suggestions?

did the crankshaft position sensor fix it? i have the same problem but at 3700 rpm. the engine misses bad. all new ignition components with no codes. the exhaust is so hot you can't put your hand over the tailpipe.

did the crankshaft position sensor fix it? i have the same problem but at 3700 rpm. the engine misses bad. all new ignition components with no codes. the exhaust is so hot you can't put your hand over the tailpipe.

The cps was the fix for mine bogging down. Sry for the late response but I am not really active on this forum as much as I used to be. Hopefully by now you have found a fix.

But being that you have an '01 and mine was a '92, I am not too sure have similar the motors are. Would also depend if you had the OHV or the SOHC.

Back