Engine Codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Codes

devildog13

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer,Eddie Bauer Edition. It has the 4.0 V-6 SOHC engine. I hooked up the scanner to it today,and got 2 Codes: P1703 (Brake Switch out of test range),and P1780 (Transmission Control Switch O/D Circuit Out of Self Test Range). Can any one advise/help me with this? Thanks,and have a wonderful day!

You can pull the transmission control switch out of the shift lever and test it for continuity with a multimeter. Same for the brake switch which I believe is under the dash at the pedal, but I don't think you actually need to pull it for a test.

Were you getting a dash indicator of a fault or this was just a random test? If the latter I'd reset the codes with the scan tool or disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then see if they return, but of course it would also be nice to have someone stand behind the vehicle and confirm that your brake lights come on when you press the pedal, and pay attention when driving to see if it shifts into O/D.

Easy way to tell if your brake switch is working is the fact that with the ignition on you have to step on the brake pedal to shift from park. If the brake switch is bad it will not allow you to do this.

-keith

Back