The Little TJ that could
Reaction score
City, State
Pattaya, Chonburi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Toyota Fortuner
Callsign
KG7MXH
Do the 3.0L, 4.0L OHV & 4.0L SOHC motors share the same bellhousing and starter bolt patterns? Got my eye on a couple of Rangers and need to know if a trans from a 4.0L OHV will bolt to either the 3.0L or the 4.0L SOHC motors. I don't care if the PCM is compatible with the trans or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0's are same 3.0 bell housing is different Funny I have a 3.0 bellhousing for sale! lol

I was afraid of that. I've been seeing some good deals on 3rd Gen & some 4th Gen Rangers, but it seems alot of them have the 3.0L.

Anyone know how well a 2.3L/2.5L 4-banger with proper gearing would perform off-road?

Anyone know how well a 2.3L/2.5L 4-banger with proper gearing would perform off-road?

just like any setup, it all depends on how you use it and what you have done to it. i would think with proper gearing it'd be fine, but as for pulling huge offroad tires i'm not to sure. i've seen on tv that some of the best offroad builds are 4bangers. do a little more research and i'm sure you can find some stuff

I figured that much. Was just trying to find out if anyone has any experience with a 4-banger Ranger on 35"/37" tires; in relation to power and longevity.

I figured that much. Was just trying to find out if anyone has any experience with a 4-banger Ranger on 35"/37" tires; in relation to power and longevity.

i'm not to sure. i would think that'd wear the engine out pretty fast, i know with gearing you change the "quickness", but i would still thing the engien would be strained... i'm currently looking FOR a 4 cylinder ranger to save gas. my X is killign me.

I've been seeing alot of 3rd & 4th Gen Rangers with 4-bangers here in the south west for $5000 and under.

Back