Engine Knocks and Pings with Superchip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Knocks and Pings with Superchip

98XLT

Reaction score
i have a 5.0 with the superchip and ever since i installed the superchip, my engine has been knocking and pinging. i use premium unleaded gas and it still continues. any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few suggestions:

1)How long have you had the chip? If you've only filled up once or twice, you might still have some old gas in the tank.
2)The chip may not have a good connection with the computer, make sure you cleaned the terminals well, and maybe duct tape the chip to the ECU.
3)Try switching to a different gas brand
4)The chip may have a minor error in programming. Do you still get a performance gain?
5)Take the chip out if pinging continues as to not damage the engine.

Don't take this as the gospel, but it may help.

98XLT
I'm sure you already have but I just wanted to remind you that the computer needs reset after most modifications.
Make sure after install that you disconnect your negative battery cable for a minute or two, then reconnect it. Your Explorer will then adjust to the new configuration.
Hope that helps, if you didn't already do this.

Oh, I forgot about that. However, I've noticed it takes over an hour for the computer to leak out all its memory. After that, you also want to let it idle for 10 minutes in N or P.

Oxygenated Gas

Part of your problem could be oxygenated gas. I don't know where you live, but it seems more states than just California are using this stuff.

I experienced a pinging problem on my cross country trip last month. I talked to SuperChip, and they suggested using octane booster. I tried it, and it reduced the problem. It did not eliminate the problem, though. Considering the cost, I'm sure you wouldn't want to use octane booster all the time. You could send the chip back, and have them reprogram it - basically, all they need to do is retard the timing. You will loose some of the power/hp, but the pinging will stop.

Now that I'm back in Georgia, running Amoco 93, the truck runs great!

thanks guys.
scott, you might have the finger on it because i have done the other things. i live in california so that definitely sounds like it could be the problem.

Back