• Register Today It's free!

ENGINE LOCKING, HELP FAST

psychotic

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP: '02 V8 Limited 4WD
Ok earlier i put a can of seafoam in my TB, and when i tried to start it, it was like the engine was frozen, there'd be a clunk, then nothin. I waited maybe 10 min, prayed some, tried again and it started up rough and the seafoam did its thing shootin smoke out the tail for about 10 min and now my engine is all better.

We decided to do this on my friend's z28 camaro and put a bottle in through his PCV line into the intake manifold. His engine is locked up too.... Only waiting isn't helping!!!! We tried 10 min after we put it in... it make a REALLY REALLY loud screeching slash grinding noise... then we waited 15 more min, and it made a noise similar to what my ex was making. then he tried 20 min later... still no luck!!! Should he just wait longer or what!!!! i feel bad like i screwed it up and i don't know what to tell him, please help!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

psychotic, let me ask you: did you do it with the engine running, pouring it in slowly?

If you didn't follow my directions then you very well may have hydrolocked his engine.

i followed directions on the bottle... it said to pour it in the engine THEN start it.

Well if it still isn't starting then it's hydrolocked. Sorry pal, but this is a really bad thing. Prepare for a night on fun :(

Start with pulling the spark plugs out and turning the engine over. Once you do this, wait for it to spray out of the holes. Put the plugs back in, and restart. Hopefully you didn't break anything!!

I cannot beleive the bottle didn't warn you!

echoing Jason,
pull plugs.................turn it over for awhile............blow off plugs (dry them somehow).......reinstall them................turn it over while knocking on wood

Good luck!

Robb

damn, i hope it starts in the mornin!!! if it doesn't... his spark plugs better be easy to get to, this sucks

Yeh sorry bro, but if his engine isn't starting up by now I think it's hydrolocked which sucks. Maybe it's a Chevy thing (j/k) because my friend did the samething to his Tahoe and ended up hydrolocking the engine. Except I don't remember him pulling the plugs or any thing, just it behind a tow truck to the dealer ($$$). So try pulling the plugs and doing what the others say and again Knock on Wood while doing it, best of luck and I hope the engine starts for you guys!

Hey, are sure the can didn't warn you, if not I feel a lawsuit comming on;)

uh, never pour a bunch of liquid into your air intake.

If you are going to use any liquid cleaners, you should put in a little at a time while the engine is running and stop when the engine begins to die and let it recover.

The physical principle here is the gases (like atomized gas or atomized intake cleaner) are compressible so they will be compressed in the cylinder and either burned with the fuel or pass thru as unburned vapor.

Liquids on the other hand are incompressible (relatively) and so they cannot be compressed in the cylinder. If you add enough liquid so that it takes up all of the available volume as the piston tries to compress the fuel, something will have to give (literally). The pressures can easily be high enough to blow the head gasket or bend the connecting rods.

Some manufacturers (GM) now take advantage of this principle to form complex shapes in metal (mostly steel) thru a process called hydroforming.

Not trying to preach, just passing along some information. Hope your friend's car is ok.

Originally posted by dogfriend
The physical principle here is the gases (like atomized gas or atomized intake cleaner) are compressible so they will be compressed in the cylinder and either burned with the fuel or pass thru as unburned vapor.

Liquids on the other hand are incompressible (relatively) and so they cannot be compressed in the cylinder. If you add enough liquid so that it takes up all of the available volume as the piston tries to compress the fuel, something will have to give (literally). The pressures can easily be high enough to blow the head gasket or bend the connecting rods.

Whoa, just had flasbacks of Chemistry in highschool 3yrs ago, damn I hated that class, my group almost blew it up when we were messing with this fire/spark thing and the knob for the gas jet was on lol, our teacher pulled a superman to turn the knob off or else I wouldn't be driving an Explorer today:D sorry off topic.

sorry man, my grad studies were in material science so I have spent some time on this kind of stuff

I think that it is good to understand the basic principals involved rather than just say "I heard you shouldn't do this"

way off topic

Your chemistry story reminds me of something a friend did in high school chemistry.

He took a 1 liter beaker (huge) and stuck it upside down over one of those gas outlets. Then he held it while another guy lit it with the spark lighter. Burnt all of the hair off of his hands and wrists, but he didn't drop it. It was hilarious.

Don't try this at home.

Nah we f***ed up, seriously never read the with engine running part... didn't see it. Just saw pouring slowly into warm engine then waiting 5 min and starting... :(
I really hope it starts in the morning.

Re: way off topic

Your chemistry story reminds me of something a friend did in high school chemistry.

He took a 1 liter beaker (huge) and stuck it upside down over one of those gas outlets. Then he held it while another guy lit it with the spark lighter. Burnt all of the hair off of his hands and wrists, but he didn't drop it. It was hilarious.

Don't try this at home.

LOL, thats sort of what we were doing, we were using the spark lighter for a project when one of us knocked into the jet (you know how the cool guys have to always f*** around in class, hehehe) when my teach smelt the fumes and saw our knob turned he fu**en flew threw the air to turn the knob off. He told us some crazy stories like 2yrs before me some kid took this white soft rock substance that reacts to water (maybe you know what it was) and took some home, flushed it down the toilet and basically blew up his whole community water system. My teacher was also in the hospital and the staff came into the room to find him trying to break open the morphine machine because he liked the feeling hahaha.

EDIT - oh Yeh, hope everything works out Psycotic, you could always take the warning label off and get them to pay for the damage because there was no warning/or whatever part you forgot to read:rolleyes: ;)

Re: Re: way off topic

Originally posted by SaleenEXP

He told us some crazy stories like 2yrs before me some kid took this white soft rock substance that reacts to water (maybe you know what it was) and took some home, flushed it down the toilet and basically blew up his whole community water system.

Pure sodium. Our high school chem teacher told us the same story...I think it might be an urban legend.

My grad school advisor told about a chemical mixture that was reactive (mild explosion) after it dries. She said that they painted it on toilet seats for fun. I don't recall what it was made from though. :D

Re: Re: Re: way off topic

Pure sodium. Our high school chem teacher told us the same story...I think it might be an urban legend.

My grad school advisor told about a chemical mixture that was reactive (mild explosion) after it dries. She said that they painted it on toilet seats for fun. I don't recall what it was made from though. :D

Your right, I think I remember him calling it that. It might be a true Urban Legend though because we were using it, and if I remember correctly (it might have been something else) was it the stuff the when your burn or something it is extremely bright, we were supposed to look at it through shades:smoke: but of course we didn't have ours on and we thought we went blind, my teacher just laughed and told us "theres a reason you have too where shades". I think that was the stuff though because I remember him saying it reacted to water.

Psycotic- did you guys get the Camaro working, I hope you guys did, knocked on wood for you guys!:)

still locked as of this mornin....
hes gonna give it one more try... then out comes the plugs, and we start prayin

Originally posted by psychotic
Nah we f***ed up, seriously never read the with engine running part... didn't see it. Just saw pouring slowly into warm engine then waiting 5 min and starting... :(
I really hope it starts in the morning.

Don't take this wrong, but be careful with things you don't understans.

Good luck....

Originally posted by aldive

Don't take this wrong, but be careful with things you don't understans.

Good luck....

Good to hear yer helping out, by telling others common sense.... :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back