• Register Today It's free!

Engine miss

relient

Reaction score
City, State
Neillsville, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98xlt
98 Explorer with SOHC V6 85k miles. Granddaughter borrowed it and brought it back with a steady miss sounding like 2 cylinders. It was very cold in the shed so I took it to a local GM dealer ( Ford dealer too far away) and had new plugs and wires put in. Still missed but not steady like before. The mechanic said the plugs did not look real bad. Thought it might be injectors and suggested putting cleaner in the fuel. I did, now it misses steady again. According to him it's the right rear cyls. It's warming up now and I can tinker with it. I hate to have a shop messing with it at 80 dollars an hour and charging list for parts. Thanks for any help, Larry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spark, fuel, compression, Timing.

Check to see if the plug is wet and has a brown tinge to it. If it does then It is getting fuel and spark.

Check the compression if that doesnt work.

You know the timing is on if the other cylinders are firing properly.

Might wanna look into a new set of CDI boxs.

I put a new coil pack in. Now it runs great for about the first 4 miles then starts missing again. It pops some like it's cross firing. Could it be the PCM? I can figure out ignition problems from model Ts up to this modern stuff but this thing is driving me nuts. This engine does not have cdi boxes. Larry

cault be timing chain iissue
iis it noisy

im having the same issue in my 92 explorer ive replaced injectors and tried a new coil pack it fixed its self for a day when i changed the injectors and went to 5 cylinders then i got gas and it went to 4 cylinders working and im stuck on this im a body tech and know that my valves arent firing somehow
why would i have 2 dead cylinders wit good compression, fuel pressure and just checked about evcerything except valves
it has multiple people stumped any help?
-brendan

Back