Engine noise in through speakers

Bfc1126

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ranger sport
08 ranger sport installed amp n sub getting engine noise through system

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

08 ranger sport installed amp n sub getting engine noise through system

Make sure you have a good ground, rca and power are not ran on same side. If noise is still their ground off the rca's at the back of the headunit. Hope this helps.

Ground the amp to a factory ground...

Sometimes alternator whine is super hard to correct with cheap RCA’s. Where/how are you grounding the amp?

Sometimes alternator whine is super hard to correct with cheap RCA’s. Where/how are you grounding the amp?
Sorry for the super Necro. With that out of the way.

What would you consider cheap RCAs? What if you had built your own?

Which is what I did, I used quad shield Headend Coaxial cable. Which is RG59 with what looks to be a Silver stinger. Just looked up the specs from Commscope it is silver plated copper clad steel. 7439004 | F59 HEC VV XP RED | CommScope
I used RCA compression fittings.

I don't believe the alternator noise is coming in through the RCA cables. I believe I may have a ground loop. Due to how I mounted the amp.

Main question at the moment is the RCA cables. What do you think?

It’s anyone’s guess as to the RCAs. If any portion is in shielded it can allow in noise. Un-mount the amp and insulate the chassis from ground. Check the noise. Then run a direct ground to the battery and see if the noise changes.

Is this the only item you have at this ground point?

I troubleshot a ground loop issue years ago that ended up being a set of cheap 90 degree fittings at the back of the deck. We installed the head unit, and then the amp separately. To save money the guy we were installing for pulled the deck and ran
a set of Stinger RCA. Took 2 days to track down the cheap conectore

It’s anyone’s guess as to the RCAs. If any portion is in shielded it can allow in noise. Un-mount the amp and insulate the chassis from ground. Check the noise. Then run a direct ground to the battery and see if the noise changes.

Is this the only item you have at this ground point?

I troubleshot a ground loop issue years ago that ended up being a set of cheap 90 degree fittings at the back of the deck. We installed the head unit, and then the amp separately. To save money the guy we were installing for pulled the deck and ran
a set of Stinger RCA. Took 2 days to track down the cheap conectore
Matter of fact the HU is grounded as well to the old head unit ground. When we bought the car it had a Pioneer AVIC unit from 07, but the sub and amp had been removed before we purchased it. So the HU is grounded behind dash, and amp is grounded at battery.

What gauge power and ground wires? Do they run with the RCAs at all before the amp?

What’s the amp?

What gauge power and ground wires? Do they run with the RCAs at all before the amp?
I want to say it 1, but no they do not run with the RCAs the battery is in the trunk and the amp is also in the trunk.

One thing I think may be an issue, is that I used metal plates that i had because the previous owner put sound deadener inside the whole trunk. Which I used self tapping screws to go through the sheet metal plate, deadener to bolt to the base of trunk. So technically it is another ground. I just didn't want the sticky deadener stuck to the bottom of the amp.

it's a Kenwood 4ch. I will have to go outside to get model number.

One other thing, the noise is only present when one of the high or low pass filters is set to on. I'll have to go out and look.

If you don't care to take a look and comment on my building your own RCA cable thread, I'd appreciate the insight.

I’d say the problem is internal to the amps filter circuits. Any noise getting induced by the cables should get worse with no filter (full pass).

I’d say the problem is internal to the amps filter circuits. Any noise getting induced by the cables should get worse with no filter (full pass).
She likes the way its set now so I won't fiddle too much with it. I am going to do mine next and will see what happens.

Back