engine question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine question

Atom 8

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
I am new on here and don't know much about the Explorers. I was wondering which 4.0 is the preferred engine among the explorer crowd, OHV or the SOHC. I thought until a few minutes ago that the SOHC wasn't offered until 2001. I am looking to buy one soon and any info is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked for a SOHC specifically because of the better mpg vs. the ohv. If you get a SOHC you just have to be careful not to get one with the timing chain rattle.

The SOHC was offered as an option starting in 1997. You can tell what engine the vehicle has by looking at the 8th digit of the VIN. If it is an E it has the SOHC, if it is a X it has the OHV.

Ok, thanks. One more question, off topic a little but, i test drove a 2000 4.0 the other day and when i switched it into 4WD and shifted to drive, it seemed like it engaged kinda hard with a pretty loud clunk sound. is that normal?

how long after you put it in 4x4 did you shift to drive, did it engage before you went to drive?

I waited a few seconds. I'm pretty sure the light on the dash was on when i shifted to drive. I had never driven one before, but it didn't seem like it should do that. I expected it to be pretty smooth.

Back