• Register Today It's free!

Engine rattle

WyoXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Xplorer Sport
this has been a progressively increasing problem.....after the truck sits for a while it makes a painful sounding rattle for a few sencods.

a rattle much like my valves running NO lubrication......or possibly something else internal.

My guess is a bad/going oil pump.
it DOES have 190,768 miles and it DID sit for some time before I got it.

Any thoughts?

Might wanna try some seafoam and an oil change with a synthetic oil. There is how to videos in the link in my signature.

Is the check engine light on?

timing chain, i had the noise just when i started it than it just got to be there all the time. that would be my first guess

Might wanna try some seafoam and an oil change with a synthetic oil. There is how to videos in the link in my signature.

Is the check engine light on?

No CEL, I was gonna re-build the 4.0 in it now, and start using my personal favorite Synthetic oil anyways.....look like it's a closer project that I originally thought.

timing chain, i had the noise just when i started it than it just got to be there all the time. that would be my first guess

It better not be a timing related issue....lol
I just dealt with a timing NIGHTMARE on a ford contour....now junked parts car.

Just for further knowledge to share amongst everyone.
ASK A CERTIFIED mechanic about some HOW-TO ordeals when it come to following a Haynes Manual.....180Degs my ass.

Back