• Register Today It's free!

engine rattle

mooseman73

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I have a 98 Exp Sport that I am begining to modify. In the front of the engine I hear a rattle. I have been working on older engines for a long time but this type of engine is new to me. It doesn't sound like a valve tap and I have eliminated all of the accessories (i.e. alternator, idler pulley, etc.). I was wondering if it might be the timing chain tensioner. I have herd this noise on lots of other explorers so odds are someone knows the noise I am talikng about. It's driving me nuts, please help me.

I'm guessing that it is the timing chain tensioner that you are hearing. It most often is. Time to take it in and have it fixed. Cost is aproximately $1K. Sorry. :(

I was lucky mine was fixed free by Ford. I went in for regular service and they told me about a Technical service bulletin. I don't think that they even had an official recall on the timing chain tensioners. But I have heard that they covered them through 72,000 miles.

A lot of the cost involves removing nearly everthing from the front of the engine (radiator, fan, A/C compressor ect.) before the actual work even begins.

There are two timing chains so if you do take it in to have it done, have everthing inside of the timing cover replaced if you can afford it.

Otherwise you may just have the guides or tensioner replaced and have another expensive problem 6 months later.

Back