Engine Revving - 2012 Explorer XLT 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Revving - 2012 Explorer XLT 4WD

Mandi15

Reaction score
I've had my 2012 Explorer for about a month and when I step on the brake when traveling over 50 MPH, I get a serious spike (1000 RPMs) for about 2 to 3 seconds before it goes back to normal. I'll be bringing the car in to the dealer this week but any insights as to why this is occurring?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had my 2012 Explorer for about a month and when I step on the brake when traveling over 50 MPH, I get a serious spike (1000 RPMs) for about 2 to 3 seconds before it goes back to normal. I'll be bringing the car in to the dealer this week but any insights as to why this is occurring?

If you are going downhill and apply the brakes, the transmission will downshift to hold the speed. You will especially experience this in mountain driving. It does this to save on brake wear. If you hit the accelerator it will up-shift again. Nice feature once you understand and get used to it.

Maybe the '12s are different than the '11s, but mine does not downshift when I apply the brakes at highway speeds.

There is the hill descent control that is activated by the center button on the terrain management knob. You don't have that pressed, do you?

Maybe the '12s are different than the '11s, but mine does not downshift when I apply the brakes at highway speeds.

There is the hill descent control that is activated by the center button on the terrain management knob. You don't have that pressed, do you?
No - it is not the hill descent mode. What I am talking about are down hills where the vehicle will gain speed with out touching the accelerator at highway speeds. If you apply the brakes, it will down shift to hold the speed. I doubt they changed it in 2012. I do have towing package but wouldn't think it is different either. It took mountain driving in traffic to experience it.

Mine did this to me last weekend when towing and coming to a long slow stead stop. It rev-matched with a blip and everything.

Back