Engine smoking... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine smoking...

DraftEdison

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
Hello all,
I have a 2001 Sport Trac with 235,000 miles. I've owned it for 17 years. It is burning something, the smoke is coming from the lower rear, closest to the firewall, driver's side and it smells like something plastic is burning? Any thoughts on what it might be? It does have a very small oil leak near this location but it doesn't smell like burnt oil. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get in there with a flashlight when it's smoking and look, and smell for whatever it is that is causing it!

If it's a 2001 ST with a Job 2 engine with the oil fill on the driver side, check the PCV valve on the rear of the drivers valve cover. Second guess would be a leaking valve cover gasket from the outside rear corner. Agree above, use a strong flashlight and small mirror to check for ANY fluid leaks.

EDIT- 2001 Job 2 engine oil fill is on the PASSENGER side. Sorry for any confusion.

Link:
2001 Sport Trac under the hood (job1)

I am thinking it is a Job 2, I need to check though. Would the PCV smell like burning plastic? Or even a leaking valve cover gasket? Its definitely burning plastic or something like that, very toxic, not sticking my head in there for any length of time with it running....

Also check the exhaust system from below for trapped plastic bags, etc.

Thanks guys! The more I think about this and investigate, if the pcv valve is plastic, maybe that is what is burning and also the source of my oil leak.....hmmm

Back