Engine swap 2wd SOHC in 4wd HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap 2wd SOHC in 4wd HELP!!

Hunz

Reaction score
City, State
Hendersonville,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC
HI guys, I recently bought a 98' 4x4 Explorer that had a locked up engine. I had high hopes of being able to swap my 98' 2wd 4.0l SOHC engine in this car and score a 4wd car for the $600 I paid for it. Both of the engines are the v6 4.0L SOHC VIN #E motor. I recently read a thread where some guys were talking about how to two motors differ and that the 4wd motor has an extra cam or chain not sure what was said that balances the motor. Are the engines any different? And will I be able to put my 2wd engine in the 4wd without any problems. I originally figured it would be a drop and plug project. HELP ME

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your engine from the 4wd has whats called a balance shaft which is only in the 4x4's Im not sure exactly what it does or why its there but I would assume its something to do with the way the motor mounts to the tranny and the fact there is a t-case on the 4x4's. They did it for a reason and as touchy as these engines are I wouldnt advise it.

I would recommend checking some thread on the 4.0 sohc regarding the balance shaft. Maybe see if you can open up the 4wd engine and swap some parts.

Keep us posted

What I am getting from the other members is that it only helps dampen some vibration from the engine which you would feel in the cab. I heard some talk that it is designed for reducing vibrations when in 4 wheel low in the 2,000-3,000 rpm range.( which is no big deal to me) Swapping parts from the 4wd engine to the 2wd would be a no go I know the 2wd engine is already balanced and adding the balance shaft would throw of the equilibrium without proper timing. I've come across one member who has done it already although not the exact same job I'm planning and had no adverse effects.

Wish me luck, I plan on pulling the locked up motor out this weekend. This feels kinda cool being a pioneer with this project, l hope she works!!

Best of luck to you, keep us up to date on the outcome.

Well the engine comes out tomorrow. So far for you who are wanting to put a 2wd sohc in a 4wd car I have a little info. First the fuel rails on the 2wd have two lines that lead off the fuel rails, while the 4wd only has one( the two fuel lines converge into one) this makes for a problem when trying to reconnect the fuel lines. Simple fix is to swith fuel rails. Second The EFI( electronic fuel injection) needs to be swapped to the 2wd engine as well. That goes for injectors and basically just the whole intake manifold. I am not really sure if I need to switch the wiring harness as well(the one that sits next to the lower manifold), so if anyone knows that would be great. Another problem that I didn't forsee until now is how the heck do I get the torque converter bolts off with a locked up engine since I can't just turn the crank?

Well after 7 hours the engine is out. I've gotten the whole intake manifold off including wiring harness and injectors, rails yada yada. taking off the intake manifold makes getting to the engine to transmission bolts off very easy(the ones up top that seem to cause everyone problems) all the bolts took about 25 minutes. This weekend the engine comes out of the 2wd car and then into the 4wd exploder. I'll keep everyone posted

0905091750_012.jpg
4wd explorer

0911092121-00.jpg
Easy way to get top transmission bolts off

0911092246_02.jpg

0911092247_02.jpg

Well, its taking a little longer to get the swap done since I only have time on the weekends. I now have the good engine that came out of the 2wd out as well, Friday it goes in- hopefully after 5 hours or so I'll be cranking up the hybrid 4wd chassis explorer with the 2wd motor in it. I'll keep you all posted

The 2wd engine is in and she runs like a dream, no vibrations like the myth, just smooth runnning. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll forever owe this forum's members

0925092125_01.jpg

:chug:That is great to hear, glad its up and running like a champ.:chug:

I am glad you got it running smoothly at first...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have been down this path. My first engine I installed lasted exactly two months before the timing chain went all out of whack, never had any vibration problem though sooo....coincidence said me so I installed a second 2wd engine in my 4x4...
the VIBRATION started innocently enough at first, after about a two months it felt like i was in a washing machine on spin cycle.
I removed that engine before it disentegrated and sold it on ebay for a profit and bought me a real 4x4 engine, no problems anymore :)

careful...the myth is not a myth...
they don't just put in a balancing shaft for the hell of it.

ok well that really stinks. How many miles did the first engine have on it before the timing chain went out? I am hoping this problem with the engine was an inevitable thing despite it possibly shaking itself to this point. how about the second engine?? From you experience, do you really think the absence of a balance shaft on an already balanced motor could do this, or did part of you think it was just misfortune. The second engine with the washing machine vibration, did teh vibration occur even when idling and all teh time?? or only when in a certain RPM range or gear

ok well that really stinks. How many miles did the first engine have on it before the timing chain went out? I am hoping this problem with the engine was an inevitable thing despite it possibly shaking itself to this point. how about the second engine?? From you experience, do you really think the absence of a balance shaft on an already balanced motor could do this, or did part of you think it was just misfortune. The second engine with the washing machine vibration, did teh vibration occur even when idling and all teh time?? or only when in a certain RPM range or gear
I congradulate you on such a quick turn around and Im glad to hear it runs, but Im still sticking to what I said above.....It's there for a reason most likely the added components on the 4x4 models. You have to think the whole front end is different and the added weight of a transfer case. I dont have the answer for why its there but whomever designed the engine knew it had to be there.

Sorry talking about the balance shaft.......

Hey Hunz,

Did you have to take the upper and lower intake off or just the upper? I'm going through this process myself.

Thanks

Just read your reply to another post. Sounds like you took the entire intake (lower and upper) off.

Back