• Register Today It's free!

Engine Tranny Swap

Joes4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I have I 91 XLT with a manual trans, I was t-boned and body is wasted. I found another 91 in great shape but with with a bad auto trans for $300. The truck that was wrecked has a nearly new Motorcraft Engine. I want to swap the entire Manual drive train from the wrecked 91 into the other automatic truck.

How big of a PITA is this going to be??? Will I have to cut out the floor board for the manual tranny or just unbolt a plate?? How much trouble will changing the pedals be??

Option 2 would be to overhaul the tranny in the good truck, BUT there was a difference in engines between the manual tranny and auto tranny. Is there a major difference in performance between the engines??? There were 2 part numbers for the engines so there is for sure a difference. Will the manual trans motor act right in front of an automatic??

What do you all think my best option would be:
1: Swap the entire drive-train, Engine, tranny, T-case, Pedals & Computer.
2: Fix automatic trans and just swap engines.

I spent $2400 on the engine last year, it only has 12,000 miles and runs STRONG!!! I do not want to waste such a good running engine. The drunk Indian POS that hit my truck has no insurance so I'm stuck fixing things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only differences i know of is the cam. The manual engine has a slightly different cam profile to make it feel more peppy. You can mount a manual behind an auto engine but not it is not recommended to put a auto behind a manual motor. It messes with the shift patterns or something.

I am currently putting a manual in my 94 EB, and its not that bad. Swap over the floor plate, the clutch hole is there, the harness is the same. Your clutch pedal switch in the auto truck has a jumper for the the auto trans. The harness for the transmission should plug right in, but i have to look at my schematics again to be sure.

The hardest part is putting in the pedals. There is no room to put the clutch pedal in with the bracket in the truck. Either remove the parking brake assembly or the pedal brackets. DO remove the steering column, it will make it much easier to get to things. You can swap in the manual column while you are at it.

Since you have the computer, swap it, but it is not necessary to.

Hope this helps.

Will I have to cut out the floor on the auto truck or is there a plate that can just be unbolted?

??????????????????anyone else????????????????

There is a plate that is over the tranny that comes right out. You can trim the existing one or use the one off your donor rig. Will drop right in. There's screws holding the plastic trim piece down. Pull the boot back and unscrew em. Plate is right under that after you pull the carpet back. I think to get the shift lever off you just reverse the nut and pull the bolt the other way. You'll see it.

I think swapping in the manual tranny and your new engine is a great idea that you won't regret. Since you have the complete donor vehicle you can swap computers and everything.

i am currently putting a manual in my 94 eb, and its not that bad. Swap over the floor plate, the clutch hole is there, the harness is the same. Your clutch pedal switch in the auto truck has a jumper for the the auto trans. The harness for the transmission should plug right in, but i have to look at my schematics again to be sure.
:d

My only recommendation is asking your insurance company to add uninsured motorist to your policy. I'm a poor person in my own opinion and my insurance is paid up until March 1st of 2010. :)

My only recommendation is asking your insurance company to add uninsured motorist to your policy. I'm a poor person in my own opinion and my insurance is paid up until March 1st of 2010. :)

I have it. My insurance company is giving me a lousy $500 bucks for my rig. I have that much invested in the front locker alone. Insurance companies are BIG FAT RIP OFF ARTISTS. If I sue the *******s for more they'll brop me like a hot potato and black ball me.

I have it. My insurance company is giving me a lousy $500 bucks for my rig. I have that much invested in the front locker alone. Insurance companies are BIG FAT RIP OFF ARTISTS. If I sue the *******s for more they'll brop me like a hot potato and black ball me.

Their giving you $500 for repairs or they called it a complete lose and totaled you ex? If they totaled it then anything attached to it at the time you signed the papers is theirs unless you bought it back of course.

The owner of my old insurance company lost her insurance license in the state for misappropriation of funds, her daughter then took over and just got nailed for the same thing. I'm glad I no longer go there. :D

My current insurance company informed me that even with full coverage it would not cover any items I add to my vehicle's if someone steals them. That means no nice rims or loud system :(

Oh and I sent the check in for the last three months of my insurance on the 4th with it being due on the 11th. Yesterday I got two letter's from them, one being a cancellation notice and the other was a disregard notice of cancellation. Then at the bank yesterday I noticed the funds for that check were still there, they were gone today though. :dunno:

They totaled it but I still get to keep it. A long time ago I had a Chevy Malibu that was totaled twice and I got to keep the car both times.

Check the end of the crank shaft between the two motors. I think there is a difference between them. The difference would be where the TC and the clutch would be. That would be my only concern. That and that silly clutch pedal bracket.

Back