• Register Today It's free!

Possible engine/tranny swap ?'s

tjtriple3

Reaction score
City, State
Southington, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Hey all. Question... since the Ranger & Explorer are basically the same drivetrain & chassis, is it worth it to drop the 2.3L & a 5speed in place of the 4.0v6? I dunno if it's been done, but honestly, I have no need for 4wd & I can't stand how thirsty this engine is. Will the fuel economy be worth it? I can get my hands on a completely rebuilt 2.3L w/a 5 spd tranny from a ranger for about $350. The guy will include the computer & driveshaft (if I want it, dunno if its necessary or not). Any ideas out there? Or would it be better to just buy a complete Ranger and just swap the bodies? Let me know any responses as this will ideally be taking place in the next month or so if I go through with it. :D

The only way I would do a 2.3 swap into an explorer would be one from a Tbird turbo coupe. The factory Narurally aspirated 2.3 made maybe a little ovver 100 hp and not much more torque. Now a turbo 2.3 from a Turbo coupe made 190 hp and 240 lb/ft torque. with only 2 mods for around 80$ you would have almost 250 hp. An adjustable boost control and a K&N filter on the VAM wakes these cars up well. Ask me how I know. Look at signature.

EDIT: when boost is turned back to factory levels, as well as timing I can get 30 mpg out of a heavy tbird.

A 2.3L in an Explorer without the turbo is going to get worse mileage then the OHV 4.0L, if it even moves :)

Back