• Register Today It's free!

Engine turns over but won't fire?

J. Anthony

Reaction score
City, State
Brenham, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited 4x4
I have a '94 X and twice I have had issues starting it. I have never had many issues with it and I keep up with the tune-ups and regular maintenace. In the morning I go out to start and warm up the engine it won't start. I thought I was possably out of gas; so I walked to the nearest station and got some gas. Not the case. I filled up the tank the day before it happened a second time. I changed the ignition box thinking that was the problem after the first time and that didn't fix it because it happened again.

Now on take off it will pull and then take off like normal. I made note of what I had done the second time it happened. The night before I had gone out and started it for just about a minute to back it into the drive further. I remember I did the same thing the first time it happened too. Why would this happen and does anyone have any ideas?

Anthony :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuel filter...

Changed it and also changed the plugs and wires. It will start after a while. It runs rough then it clears up and the check engine light goes out. I have no idea.

Anthony

If your check engine light goes out, then it means that your PCM is not getting power. It could be the PCM relay, or a bad ground. Your fuel pump will not turn on if the PCM has no power. No codes will be stored in the computer's memory either.

I think he indicated that the light goes out "after" the things starts but doesn't run to well. It is supposed to go out once a "start condition" has happened. More likely either a poor fuel pump (original?????), probably, or possibly a faulty pump relay.

Is this no start a result of no fuel (check with fuel pressure gauge) or no spark or both?

I'd switch the fuel pump relay with another (like the ABS relay) and see what happens. (up in the relay center under the hood, pass side)

I appreciate everything you all have said. I was wondering if it could be a combination of a fuel pump going out on me and becoming intermittent and some other electronic parts as well. A lot of the original parts are still under the hood. I was also going to check the PCM as well. I just learned about that last evening. It may be best to go ahead and change out the fuel pump and a few other electrical items as well. I plan on keeping my X; it's been a great vehicle and even now when I am having sime trouble with it, she still gets me around every day. Does anyone have any suggestions on some aftermarket upgrades? Thanks again for the knowledge.

Anthony

J. Anthony said:
I appreciate everything you all have said. I was wondering if it could be a combination of a fuel pump going out on me

When you turn your ignition key to auxiliary, without turning over the engine, do you hear the fuel pump activate? On *most* of these trucks, it should give a little groan-type noise every time it energizes.

If you don't hear that every time I'd suspect the pump or the pump relay.

J. Anthony said:
I was also going to check the PCM as well. I just learned about that last evening.

Could be a loose or dirty connection on the PCM, or a faulty PCM, but that's kind of rare. Usually these are spark/fuel problems. A fuel pump relay is cheap, I'd start there first. Actually what's cheaper is to switch relays with a known-good relay (like the ABS relay) and go from there.

Back