• Register Today It's free!

Entire dash removal

steelynirvana

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Has anyone done a how to on how to remove the entire dash assembly on a first generation? Ive got a wire (Purple/orange, circuit 298 in the wiring diagram) That has gotten extremely hot at one time and melted the insulation. I need to get back to a clean part to make a splice, can't acess the main bundle enough to pick it out without removing entire dash.

Found out also today that the alternator will not charge the battery with the instrument cluster removed. Strange I think, can anyone tell me why?

I never figured out how to pull the whole dash (I tried once) so sorry I can't help you with that, but I heard that the "Battery usage light" or whatever you want to call it has to work for the battery to charge from the alternator. IIRC, Even if that light is burnt out it won't charge. It is strange.

<snip>, but I heard that the "Battery usage light" or whatever you want to call it has to work for the battery to charge from the alternator. IIRC, Even if that light is burnt out it won't charge. It is strange.

This is correct. The alternator is excited via the power to that bulb.

If you look up 3g alternator conversions on the 'net you'll see how simple the wiring is. If you run switched 12v power to the alternator to the "I" plug/wire (remove it from where is already goes) the alternator will charge w/out the dash.

Here is a diagram stolen from fordtruckclub that I use whenever I install an 3g in an older vehicle.

(dead link)

~Mark

Has anyone done a how to on how to remove the entire dash assembly on a first generation? Ive got a wire (Purple/orange, circuit 298 in the wiring diagram) That has gotten extremely hot at one time and melted the insulation. I need to get back to a clean part to make a splice, can't acess the main bundle enough to pick it out without removing entire dash.

Found out also today that the alternator will not charge the battery with the instrument cluster removed. Strange I think, can anyone tell me why?

How to: Remove 1991-1994 Dash with lots of pics

Found your post while trying to find the same thing myself. Here's a link to another post here that details the dash removal if you still need it.

Paul

Back