• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust back pressure

04sd

Reaction score
City, State
pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 F150, '84 Ranger
I've got a 4.0 in my Bronco II and I'm currently running the original 2.9 exhaust system minus the cat. The muffler is about 1/2 the length of the Explorer muffler. Do you think this is hurting performance and/or gas mileage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it all depends on the pipe diameter anything between 2.00"-3.00" is plenty:)

I think there's a Bronco subforum on here... might have more luck over there. If not, I'd say message 410Fortune, from what I know he's the BroncoII expert round these parts, lol

It's probably holding it back some, but even the factory exhaust for the 4.0 held it back.

If you're worried about it, adding a 2.25" exhaust with your choice of a performance muffler might be just the ticket.

Yeah even the stock 4.0 system is probably holding it back a little.

I think it'd be safe to say the 2.9 system might be marginally more so.

I've got an almost new Explorer exhaust system, I'll have to measure the pipe size compared to the Bronco. I'd really like to keep it quiet so maybe I can fit the Explorer muffler, given I'm not running a cat it should still flow pretty good.

The cat(s) are probably where the most restriction takes place, and I'm also sure that the factory pipe is crush bent as well, probably hurting flow there too.

Other than the muffler the 2.9 exhaust is almost identical.

Stock pipe size is 2", but 2.25" makes a huge difference in terms of flow and exhaust gas velocity.

If you want quiet but better than using the stock muffler, you can go with a Dynomax Super Turbo. They have mufflers with a 20" long case, like the 17747, which is what comes on the cat-back systems for 91-92 Explorers. It's pretty quiet.

Back