Exhaust Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Help

Torqueranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer 5.0l
I have a 99 5.0l exp and the exhaust is leaking bad and needs to be rebuilt.. I was thinking about building a cat back system .. I read through the 5.0l exhaust sections and I have some ideas and questions and just want some opinions and thoughts ...I already have a 40 series flowmaster with center 2.5 inlet and offset 2.5 exit.. Oh I need it to pass nj dot too ...But I was going to dump the exhaust right in front of the rear tire but that is where my daughters car seat is ..So I am going with a 2.5 single exit in the factory locations but I don't want to keep the factory resonator .. My plans was to take off the factor muffler off after the cats and make an adapter with one tube with the flange and one slip over just like factory ..Then both pipes go to a y-pipe then a short piece of tubing to mount y-pipe to muffler... A 2.5 " exit pipe after muffler to the back of exp with a S.S tip hanging out the back or side...
Oh I am trying to do this as cheap as possible and by myself..

1-Whats you thoughts on this setup ???
2-Would you change anything ???
3-Where can I get a get smooth bend exit pipe without the factory resonator ??
4-Would it be cheaper to have someone make me the exit pipe ??
5-Whould you mount the tip coming out the back or side?

p.s I could careless about it be loud ...

Thanks
jay

Walker makes a 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipe for the explorer that welds up to the muffler.

Your best bet would be to ditch the flowmaster you have, because it would require a y pipe which imo is pointless. Flowmaster also makes a bolt on cat-back with 2.5" pipes that dumps out the side for just shy of $300.

I did some research and this is about what's it's going to cost me
Muffler -free
s.s tailpipe -$130
s.s Y pipe -$28
alumized tubing -$15
clamps -$30
Grand total of -$203

Any thoughts ??

Oh I am trying to keep it mostly Stainless Steel to keep it from rusting out in a year or two.

Back