Exhaust leaks, Ford Explorers and the environment. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust leaks, Ford Explorers and the environment.

^
I'm looking at this through the eyes of Ford and that high level executives are paid to be a bit paranoid.

They are paid to keep the company profitable, not to stir up a hornet's nest of unnecessary paranoia in customers who aren't effected. I could even play devil's advocate and suggest that they would resist notifying people that they feel are effected if the lawsuit liabilities are projected to be lower than the recall /repair costs.

At this point in time there is no evidence that a systematic design or manufacturing flaw effects 1.3M customers. It would be madness to assume this when the bulk of evidence so far is that it happens to police interceptors that have modifications which resulted in unsealed undercarriage holes left behind.

Could there be one or even ten stray soccer moms who ran their lift gate into the garage door because they forgot to close it before moving the vehicle, sprung the door and now the gasket doesn't seal well? Of course, but this example is not a Ford Explorer specific problem. Anyone who has a damaged vehicle can experience differences in operation and safety due to that.

As of yet there is no evidence that the standard, non police interceptor explorer is any more prone to CO leaks than any other vehicle on the road. Should ALL automakers notify ALL car owners that operating a motor vehicle has risks and everyone should go get their vehicle checked? ? Perhaps everyone should get their vehicle checked for ALL matters safety related, but at their expense if it is not determined to have been an original manufacturing or design defect.

If at a later date it is established that there is a design or manufacturing problem that makes it possible that all are effected, then I am completely in favor of all owners being notified.

^

They are paid to keep the company profitable, not to stir up a hornet's nest of unnecessary paranoia in customers who aren't effected. I could even play devil's advocate and suggest that they would resist notifying people that they feel are effected if the lawsuit liabilities are projected to be lower than the recall /repair costs.

At this point in time there is no evidence that a systematic design or manufacturing flaw effects 1.3M customers. It would be madness to assume this when the bulk of evidence so far is that it happens to police interceptors that have modifications which resulted in unsealed undercarriage holes left behind.

Could there be one or even ten stray soccer moms who ran their lift gate into the garage door because they forgot to close it before moving the vehicle, sprung the door and now the gasket doesn't seal well? Of course, but this example is not a Ford Explorer specific problem. Anyone who has a damaged vehicle can experience differences in operation and safety due to that.

As of yet there is no evidence that the standard, non police interceptor explorer is any more prone to CO leaks than any other vehicle on the road. Should ALL automakers notify ALL car owners that operating a motor vehicle has risks and everyone should go get their vehicle checked? ? Perhaps everyone should get their vehicle checked for ALL matters safety related, but at their expense if it is not determined to have been an original manufacturing or design defect.

If at a later date it is established that there is a design or manufacturing problem that makes it possible that all are effected, then I am completely in favor of all owners being notified.

This conversation is pointless, we are talking past each other. Unless every Explorer out there is driven in the exact same manner, WOT with ventilation on recirculate, etc., then we will never know is the problem is universal or not. Thus far in this forum there have been complaints from each year of fifth generation Explorers made to date. Another option would be for Ford to come out with an unequivocal statement saying that specific Explorers are not effected. To further my point of saying that no one knows the exact answer, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is pushing forward with an engineering analysis to better figure out what is going on or not. Let's let the experts come to the proper conclusion. No more replies from me to you on this topic.

Back