exhaust question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

exhaust question

Originally posted by Michigander
LOL... you guys are great

.... I'm trying to go all black and occasionally help cats get out of trees? Can I at least be Robin?? :)

uh, Robin's kinda....uh.... how can i put this...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it would sound better if you took the glass pack off and slam it on the ground a few times and put it back on. i love the sound of a broken glass pack. reminds me of the mexican ghetto here.

How about this one?

In want a flowmaster 40 on mine but I have dual in single outlet. I was thinking of running dual exhaust but I don't think I have enough room for two 40s side by side. Batman, Robin, I can be "crazy pickle arm, look at me I have a pickle for an arm, I'm crazy, now gimme some candy!"
My college roomates used to call me Meatman, because I hitantz the skizantz.

eh?

Re: How about this one?

Originally posted by Haxaw
In want a flowmaster 40 on mine but I have dual in single outlet. I was thinking of running dual exhaust but I don't think I have enough room for two 40s side by side.
You can do it. It's been done by others on this board. Instead of having the mufflers sitting sideways, turn them 90* and have them going up and down. Trying to expleain with crappy ASCII drawing:
Code:
Instead of: ____    ____    Do: _    _
           [____]  [____]      I I  I I
                               I_I  I_I
My college roomates used to call me Meatman, because I hitantz the skizantz.
Huh? Do what?

Yep, rotate em 90*. I don't have underneath pics but I do have pics of how ithe pipes and tips look from the outside. There's a link in my sig.

Thanks fellas

I was thinking of putting them in there up and down but I was worried about hooking them on something, ground clearence. Then I was wondering if I put another stock tail pipe next to it and just run them both side by side out the back.
Hizantz the skizantz= Hitting the skins, (sex)
Oh well anyway, Its worth a try but if I do route one of the pipe to the other side I am then looking at some bucks. I may need an off center in let and an off center outlet on the same side. What is the width of one of those mufflers?

Why not sing. in dual out...
Only your muffler man would know and they dont tell....

Haxaw,
i had them side by side (up an down) and i toasted one of them. right now im running a single 40 with a y pipe and 4" tips exiting behind the rear wheels. i was thinking abour putting the y pipe at teh cat and then getting the new dual in dual out dynaflow muffler. its suppossed to be sweet sounding. i love my 40 but i want the breathing that i had with the y at the cat.

Is that a dynomax?

Is that a dynomax muffler? Do you have a part # or anything? I know there is an ultra flow muffler for like $140, thats supposed to be the best but I definately like the sound of the 2 chamber i hope the sound is comprable.
Thanks.

you know i was thinking dynamax when i said dynaflow but you know it wasnt either. there is a write up about it in the new off road mag in the new products section. i remember sitting there thinking "damn i put the wrong product on the site today" i dont remember off hand but i will check when i get home and post it. the muffler was a 2 chamber 2 in 2 out made of 14 gauge steel. it is a newer comp. may be some one has seen the write up im thinking of?

sorry for the mix up.

Dynomax ultraflow

There is a dynomax ultraflow muffler that is dual in and dual out. It is $100 and it says that it flows 1130 CFM where the Flowmaster only flows 430 CFM. I was really looking for sound but this could be a good one, a kid at work is gonna see about getting two borla mufflers side by side, that would be sweet

Re: Dynomax ultraflow

Originally posted by Haxaw
There is a dynomax ultraflow muffler that is dual in and dual out. It is $100 and it says that it flows 1130 CFM where the Flowmaster only flows 430 CFM. I was really looking for sound but this could be a good one, a kid at work is gonna see about getting two borla mufflers side by side, that would be sweet

wouldn't you lose some torque with that muffler?

one thing that i am a little unclear on...
okay an exhaust or intake or anythign traveling through a pipe can only flow as much as the smallest point allows. so i realize that if i have bigger pipes that wont do me any more good than having whatever the inlet pipe diameter is. so then what about headers? if i increase the flow at the engine and have clean flow to the cats and then have free flowing pipes and mufflers wouldnt that be torque decreasing? but if i only do an aftercat system like i have and the most constricting point in the exhaust is the manifold or the cats then what would the flow of the muffler matter inless it was causing even more restriction?

i have always been told that ford is bad about not letting their enginges breathe. so i wanted to get an exhaust system to help and i believe that it did but i also know that too much release will result power loss. does anyone have a good formula for some true power gains on a 4.0?

i have the kkm and a flowmaster 40 with larger than stock pipes.

As long as you still have the converters, you'll have plenty of back pressure. I went with 2.5 in dual pipes with 2 Flowmaster mufflers. I picked up torque and horsepower. The factory exhaust is so restrictive to keep everything quiet and with the 4 or 6 converters we have, it really kills power. I also ripped the converters off my Mustang and I really couildn't feel a loss of torque.

cgs motorsports

this is the comp that i was thinking of when i was confused about the dual in dual out muffler. they have some nice stuff on a pretty good page with fair prices in my opinion. i might give them a try sometime. i like their questions and answers page.

Back