Explorer 5.0 rods same as Mustang? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 5.0 rods same as Mustang?

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
I have searched both this forum and the Mustang forums, but haven't gotten a definitive answer. Some say the Mustang rods are forged and explorer rods aren't, some say they both are, some say neither are. Anyone know for sure? If they are different, are they a weak point? Mustang 5.0s blow the block in half before breaking just about anything else. Is the same true for Explorer 5.0s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only forged 5.0 parts I know of is that around 1992 and earlier the 5.0 mustangs had forged pistons.

After that they got hypereutectic pistons but as far as I know the lower ends are the same.

5.0L connecting rods are not generally a weak point and should be 5.090" long. OEM blocks have a tendency to split in half at the lifter valley due to the main bearing webbing not being strong enough, but this only occurs at roughly 550 horsepower and with violent torque application. All OEM connecting rods are I-beam forgings and can be strengthened considerably by polishing and shotpeening the beams, then retrofitting with ARP Wave-loc bolts or similar.

As for pistons, starting in 1990 5.0 engines were produced with hypereutectic slugs, the forgings were only in '87-89 I believe.

5.0L connecting rods are not generally a weak point and should be 5.090" long. OEM blocks have a tendency to split in half at the lifter valley due to the main bearing webbing not being strong enough, but this only occurs at roughly 550 horsepower and with violent torque application. All OEM connecting rods are I-beam forgings and can be strengthened considerably by polishing and shotpeening the beams, then retrofitting with ARP Wave-loc bolts or similar.

As for pistons, starting in 1990 5.0 engines were produced with hypereutectic slugs, the forgings were only in '87-89 I believe.

Good to know on the rods. Mustang pistons were forged from '85-'92 I believe. Not 100% sure they started in '85, but they stopped in '92 for sure.

Good to know on the rods. Mustang pistons were forged from '85-'92 I believe. Not 100% sure they started in '85, but they stopped in '92 for sure.

My '92 GT had hyper pistons it and my '89 LX Sport had factory forged pistons. Either way, the hyper piston is a better piston if the engine is to remain naturally aspirated as the expansion characteristics of the material are superior to that of a forging and they're also lighter weight. Where they're inferior to a forging is in resistance to detonation.

On the 'stangs, it was some do, some do not have forged internals. I'm sure there's a list somewhere of which 'stang (and the Lincoln LSC) got the forged.

The rest all have cast cranks/rods and hypereutectic pistons (to included all the 5.0 Expo/Mountaineers.

The mustang forums say they switched sometime in '92, so if you have one of those it depends on if it was made before or after the switch. I have only read this, not verified personally.

Back