Explorer delays | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer delays

My Aviator was built 12-04-2019 and it went to QC, then sat in the parking lot for a couple of weeks before they shipped it to the dealer.

Ours was built 1/29 and was shipped 1/31. However they put on a train that went SE of Chi when it needs to be going SW..... So who knows where it is now. Concierge should email me in the morning with train location updates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ours was built 1/29 and was shipped 1/31. However they put on a train that went SE of Chi when it needs to be going SW..... So who knows where it is now. Concierge should email me in the morning with train location updates.
They go to somewhere in Indiana, something to do with railroad routing or train makeup. Only reason I knew about that is the dealer got ahold of Ford and they told her it was on a railcar in Indiana but didn't give her an updated delivery at that time.

Showed up at the dealer in Colorado about seven days later.

They go to somewhere in Indiana, something to do with railroad routing or train makeup. Only reason I knew about that is the dealer got ahold of Ford and they told her it was on a railcar in Indiana but didn't give her an updated delivery at that time.

Showed up at the dealer in Colorado about seven days later.

Rail shipping is a joke. The amount of money they charge for shipping it should be delivered to my house. If I was able to ship a car by truck halfway across the country for $400ish in less than a week door step to door step. Then $1000 should get me much more than what I get.

Sure wish FOMOCO would do plant tours as GM does with the Corvette. GM also allows the car to be picked up there.
I purchased an Audi a number of years ago and picked it up at the factory in Germany. Lot's of fun. Got a factory tour as part of the delivery. Their robots really know what they're doing. All parts that were supposed to be on the car, were. Not sure I want to see the Ford Chicago robots make cars.

Each assembly buck that the car was built on had an electronic cube that stored all the details about the vehicle and the complete parts inventory. The coolest part of the Audi tour was the robot that installed the windshields and rear glass. Many lasers for location checking. Absolute precision, and surprising speed. The robot even had a second "hand" that came out and cleaned its glue gun after each installation. Wished I was allowed to take pictures.

Rail shipping is a joke. The amount of money they charge for shipping it should be delivered to my house. If I was able to ship a car by truck halfway across the country for $400ish in less than a week door step to door step. Then $1000 should get me much more than what I get.

Agreed but I was just attempting to let you know why it may have headed the wrong direction initially. No attempt on my part to justify it but since it didn't show up on the tracking, i was pretty concerned. It never was noted on the tracking that it went to QC, just a notation when it "returned from QC".

Agreed but I was just attempting to let you know why it may have headed the wrong direction initially. No attempt on my part to justify it but since it didn't show up on the tracking, i was pretty concerned. It never was noted on the tracking that it went to QC, just a notation when it "returned from QC".

I was just ranting about rail shipping. Lincoln gave me more info this time than Ford did for my last two orders. The last times Ford actually told me they had zero tracking of rail shipping. They claimed they only knew when they gave it to the rail company and when it got off the train. Our explorer took 4-5 weeks to ship from Chicago to South Carolina and the mustang was a smidgen longer from from Flat Rock.

I was just ranting about rail shipping. Lincoln gave me more info this time than Ford did for my last two orders. The last times Ford actually told me they had zero tracking of rail shipping. They claimed they only knew when they gave it to the rail company and when it got off the train. Our explorer took 4-5 weeks to ship from Chicago to South Carolina and the mustang was a smidgen longer from from Flat Rock.

You know they were incorrect, right? They can see every checkpoint down the railroad.

I purchased an Audi a number of years ago and picked it up at the factory in Germany. Lot's of fun. Got a factory tour as part of the delivery. Their robots really know what they're doing. All parts that were supposed to be on the car, were. Not sure I want to see the Ford Chicago robots make cars.

Each assembly buck that the car was built on had an electronic cube that stored all the details about the vehicle and the complete parts inventory. The coolest part of the Audi tour was the robot that installed the windshields and rear glass. Many lasers for location checking. Absolute precision, and surprising speed. The robot even had a second "hand" that came out and cleaned its glue gun after each installation. Wished I was allowed to take pictures.

Chicago has traditionally produced some of the worst examples of QC on Fords that I have seen in 30 years. Body panel misalignment was common on the Taurus and Explorer, to the point trunks were rubbing against rear fenders, or hoods sat lower on one corner due to stamping die problems (parts weren't stamped right). Doors weren't closing properly, etc... Flat Rock has probably been the most consistent.

There were some rumors about wiring harness issues and mis-assembly. This definitely sounds like a short somewhere that is draining the battery so quickly. You should push them hard to fix it!
That might be but I keep getting the low power dummy light icon when I drive a long way and I had a cooler plugged in in the back 12v outlet this time too. Could the battery not be good enough to handle the pressure or what. The first time I took it into a Ford Dealer and he said there wasn't a problem.

That might be but I keep getting the low power dummy light icon when I drive a long way and I had a cooler plugged in in the back 12v outlet this time too. Could the battery not be good enough to handle the pressure or what. The first time I took it into a Ford Dealer and he said there wasn't a problem.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you referring to the battery warning light in the dash? I'm not familiar with the term you used. The battery is used to start the vehicle and then it is the alternator that supplies the power to keep the battery charged. Theoretically, once the engine is running, you should be able to take the battery out and the engine will keep running.

Peter

Back