Explorer died going down interstate!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer died going down interstate!!!

tcross8361

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie sohc 4.0
I was going down the interstate and My 97 Eddie ust died. I pulled over tried to start it. It wouldn't start for a while but when it did it would idle rough. when I stepped on the gas it would rev up then sputter and die. I thought maybe Fuel pump, but I put pump and filter in it about a year ago. It was an after market pump off Ebay though so doesn't mean that didn't go bad. Well, any suggestions or maybe direct me to any existing threads dealing with these symptoms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going down the interstate and My 97 Eddie ust died. I pulled over tried to start it. It wouldn't start for a while but when it did it would idle rough. when I stepped on the gas it would rev up then sputter and die. I thought maybe Fuel pump, but I put pump and filter in it about a year ago. It was an after market pump off Ebay though so doesn't mean that didn't go bad. Well, any suggestions or maybe direct me to any existing threads dealing with these symptoms.

First thing I'd check would be the fuel rail pressure, maybe you got some bad fuel and the filter is clogged?

Thanks Daffy. Yeah i'm gonna pick up a fuel pressure test kit tommarrow. Probably change my filter too just for kicks. I'll keep everyone posted wish me luck. Kind of getting burnt out on these explorers. Do the newer rangers have all these problems? I've had 2 older rangers, 85 & 89. I miss them. The lifters knocked in the 89 but it ran like that for 5 years before it got totaled out. :(

Scan for codes?

also try some of the SOHC threads on the timing chain problems.

Well I changed the fuel filter this morning and checked the pressure. It was running with 20 pounds so thats definately not good. I think its the fuel pump but I could be wrong.

Probably a dumb question, but when you turn the key to the ON position, do you hear the pump prime for a second or 2? If not, check the fuel pump relay and intertia switch.

Probably a dumb question, but when you turn the key to the ON position, do you hear the pump prime for a second or 2? If not, check the fuel pump relay and intertia switch.

Not a dumb question at all. I'm not hearing it at all now. A guy told me that you can manually reset the fuel circuit by turning the ignition off then on for 5 seconds 3 times in a row. I replaced the relay, no go. It sometimes starts but now I'm getting 0 psi when it runs instead of the 20 I was getting. I suspect its only burning the fuel in the line. I just can't hear that pump purging when I turn the ignition on now so thats bugging me. I'd hate to get into that gas tank this weekend and it not be the pump. I got a motorcraft pump for $249 on rockauto.com by the way.

Ok, found the inertia switch. Its not tripped so the only things it could be now is the pressure regulator or the pump. I'm leaning towards the pump. I ha to order it. It should be here tomarrow.

I've changed the fuel pump out and it is running now. The pressure still seems low. Its running about 30 psi (supose to be like 38-40 psi). I'm wondering if something else is going on that could of caused the first pump to go out. It has a new filter in it. Any suggestions?

Back