Explorer/Ranger parts compatibility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer/Ranger parts compatibility

JTH1972

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL V6 4X4
I know some of the parts are compatible, but how far does it go?

My old truck was a 86 Ranger 4X4 and I have some parts kicking around that I never got around to installing (full set of rear brakes with drum and cylinders, O2 sensor) and I'd like to know if they'd work on my 94 XLT. Or is this a question I'd have to ask my parts store?

Your Ranger was built with the 7.5 rear axle. The Explorer's 8.8 has bigger brakes, they are wider. The only parts that may work would be the springs and hardware. The wheel cylinders may work but might be valved differently for the valving in the master cylinder of the Ranger. You will have to check the part numbers.

Your 94 has california emissions and requires two, four-wire O2 sensors. The 86 was most likely a 2 wire. The difference being a heating element in the four wire unit. Chances are it will not work.

I think the sensors were 3 wire, but regardless, it won't work.

What about injectors? I bought some cleaned ones off of Ebay, and I thought the 4L used the same ones as the 2.9?

They could be, My 94 mustang GT had four wire. Its been a while since I looked at them.

I would guess the 2.9 one might work but, you would have to cross the part numbers to be absolutley sure.

Back